Vista-Vista Explorer=Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWiggle

Solid State Member
Hi guys. I'm pretty new here so let me shortly introduce myself, I'm Roee from Jeruslalem, Israel.

I've installed Vista Ultimate about a month ago and when I first started using it, I was very impressed. I've used it for three weeks until I fed up, the crashes for no reason, CPU usage and oh yeah of course- the ****ING RAM usage !!! even though I have 2 gigs, it ****ed me. If you think about it, no game will work properly either because of the DirectX 9 vs DirectX 10 compatibility issues.

Now dont get me wrong, I do think its a superior OS, problem is that its superiority is only in potential. Did you know that Microsoft assigned 100 programmers that worked for a whole year on the Vista Start Menu? Un ****ing believable! The Vista Start Menu HOD resigned before the completion of the project; "I can't work like this anymore" he said. But you know what they say, The first product that Microsoft makes that doesn't suck will be when they try to make a vacuum cleaner.

So after three weeks or so, I've returned to XP. I have transparency+Vista color theme,full Sidebar with updated gadgets, PNG icons and of course the Vista start menu by Lee Matthew Chantrey, One ****ing programmer that by all standards made a better start menu than Microsoft's one (try it out it is called Vistart and its compatible with Vista). I'm Using almost every function of Vista and still my RAM usage is no higher than 500 mb.

One thing is missing though, Vista Windows Explorer. The thing I miss the most about Vista Explorer is the Navigation pane on the left. I was trying to find Vistas' explorer.exe but I couldn't find it anywhere ! Now I'm not talking about a shell and I dont want an explorer replacement, I want the original Vista windows explorer. You know, if I'll manage to operate Vista's explorer on my XP it means that WE DONT NEED VISTA! with this last component, XP will be similar to Vista without the high requirements, bugs and crashes.

Help me out...

ThanX Dudes,

Roee

Straight From The War Zone

Okay first off this just goes to show that people dont know wtf they are talking about.

I have used Vista since it was a Beta. I have had few to no problems with it since RTM.

The bugs you complain about are they driver related? Application related? That is not Vista's fault. I used Vista with 1 GB of RAM..1.5GB of RAM and now 3GB of RAM. I have had little trouble with any setup. I know people that run religiously on 1GB and swear by Vista. I use Vista on my laptop with 1GB.

So anyways dont think jsut cause you are bothered that you cant game, which is BS on the largest scale, that Vista is crap. I have used Vista for gaming flawlessly. To play UT2004, Doom 3, CS:S, Star Wars KOTOR, Painkiller, F.E.A.R., Warcraft 3, BF2, BF2142 among others. I have not had any issues running any of those games. I also run Lost Planet.

I have had 2 BSOD's since i installed Vista. Both were due to Video Drivers. nVidia's fault not Microsofts. Yes Vista uses more RAM. What do you expect of a OS with over 6 MILLION lines of code and totally written from the ground up. Not jsut another OS with some added features like XP is.

You can only find the Exploere replacement thru Windowblinds. Other than that trying to replace the XP one with a Vista one wont work. They are 2 totally different trypes of explorers and cant be switched without some ill effects.

I still am having trouble trying to figure out why it seems that only everybody on this site has issues with Vista. All the other sites i go to there is only 1 person who has a issue at all with Vista. Out of the 24,170 people registered on those sites 1 person. That is a good ratio i think.

So you all can think that i am a Vista fanboy. But know this. I am within XP right now, with a OS X theme to it. I dont think Vista is perfect. I know it isnt. Hence why i am in XP right now. I was having trouble getting DVD Shrink to copy a DVD for me so i went to XP where it worked fine. I know Vista has its little bugs. I know it has it problems. But i dont ***** about a NEW OS that is 6 Months old. XP had 5 times the amount of issue Vista has had at this point in time after their release.

Give them some ****ing time already. Nothing new isnt without bugs. They need some kind of time to work out these small kinks. Rome wasnt built in a day why do you expect everything new to run like it has been out there for 5 years?

Makaveli, you are the first person I have ever seen on a tech forum defending vista. Everyone that uses it has problems with it. It has not enough support, tons of bugs, and is a huge memory hog. Also, you stated that "nothing new isnt without bugs", all I have to say is take a look at Apple. By the way, XP didn't have nearly the problems Vista does at this time of its release, but it did have tons of problems. You say that vista is an entirely new OS written from the ground up, unlike XP... I have been using Vista for a while now and haven't noticed any large changes from XP apart from cosmetic. Thats none (ZERO)! I respect your opinions greatly Makaveli, but how can you defend something that, in this stage, is just crap?

I'm with Makavelli... all of my bsods have been my fault unfortunatley.. cant blame it on the os...

And gaming with it is fine for me... I've played many games on mine including older games like Diablo 1. I agreed with the Vista bashing when it first came out, but by now I;ve warmed up to it. Only thing I don't like is the explorer... anyone know of a way to make it default to viewing things in a list? I hate those big icons...

I love vista...haven't had a BSOD yet...with my retail...actually never experienced one with the betas either...not saying they don't exist...as I'm sure they do...no OS is without such flaws...MS ones are just known as BSODs.

I run current apps and games with Vista...
I've also run older apps and games...things like 5 years ago...
I also am able to run things that are 10-15 years ago...

why? Because I actually know what I'm doing. Many times people have problems with a piece of software and blame the software company, refusing to ever acknowledge that they aren't all that bright or experienced with the software (or hardware for that matter).

I'm no genius but I'm a fan of common sense and logic...with a bit or a lot of both you can actually run Vista and enjoy it as the many other millions of users out there. It's ok to NOT be a genius all the time...not everyone knows how to do everything. I am clueless with cars...but I don't blame the car makers or mechanics when I don't know what's wrong with my car.

;)

I haven't had a problem with Vista either...I can run all the apps/games I used to. I haven't had any driver issues either. I had one BSOD, but that was my fault because I ended a process I shouldn't have on accident. I don't really understand why everyone has problems with Vista...

Makaveli213 ! I've got some answers for you.

I'm gonna address your reply issue by issue; First of all, I think I do know what the **** im talking about, I also think that sheep have a tendency to accept whatever is marketed to them. I do not complain, I state facts. I know that some of Vista related bugs are due to 3rd party software and drivers incompatibility issues. But other than the incompatibility issues, Vista have lots of the OS kernal bugs.

Yeah, Vista will work with 1GB of RAM, the question is what will be the scale of operating other programs. If you intend to open and close "Computer" over and over again, I presume 1GB will be sufficient.

Now, you say that the DirectX 9 vs DirectX 10 incompatibility issue is BS? Well, that says to me that you are not really familiar with the DirectX and GPU related operations architecture. You can play doom3 ? really ? **** Me! doom3 huh? Im ****ing impressed... You can play doom3 on two more virtual machines running the game, so ****ing what? what settings did you configure on BF2? did you actually compared performances of those games between Vista and XP? what is the relative frames per second ratio? HUH??

You say that you only had 2 BSODs since you installed Vista. I'm getting back to the fact that sheep have a tendency to accept whatever is marketed to them, The fact that you are accepting 2 BSODs as a good thing should make you think- IN THE YEAR OF 2007, WHEN BASIC NANO TECH IS ALREADY FEASIBLE, YOUR PC CRASHED!! Drivers or no drivers related, do you think you will get a BSOD with Apple's Leopard ?

The fact that Vista has more than 6 million lines of code is a disgrace and not a source of pride! (and actually its more like 50 million) Oh yeah, let me educate you with another fact, "totally written from the ground up" you say? What kernal does Vista uses? a "Vista kernal"? NO! you are actually using Windows 2003 with a nicer wrapping. Sorry to burst your bubble but Microsoft didn't built something from the ground up since Windows 95. All of Microsoft's OSs are a manipulation over a manipulation over a manipulation of files and apps, just check similar system files including system dlls that are the same on 2003, XP and Vista. Actually, Microsoft recently announced that their next OS will be the first one that will be made completely from zero, Do you know why? Because it ain't working! they figured out that it will be cheaper for them to start from zero- just read their Q1 report.

Thanks for the offer but I don't want a 3rd party software such as windowblinds, I'm not searching for better looks, I'm searching for efficiency. Why do you think that "to replace the XP one with a Vista one wont work. They are 2 totally different trypes of explorers and cant be switched without some ill effects." ? What is totally different between the two? Its a BROWSER for **** sakes! does it needs designated hardware or something?

Next time posting a reply, do your homework! Until then, you can send billy a love letter.

Peace,

Roee

Makaveli213 ! I've got some answers for you.

I'm gonna address your reply issue by issue; First of all, I think I do know what the **** im talking about, I also think that sheep have a tendency to accept whatever is marketed to them. I do not complain, I state facts. I know that some of Vista related bugs are due to 3rd party software and drivers incompatibility issues. But other than the incompatibility issues, Vista have lots of the OS kernal bugs.

Yeah, Vista will work with 1GB of RAM, the question is what will be the scale of operating other programs. If you intend to open and close "Computer" over and over again, I presume 1GB will be sufficient.

Now, you say that the DirectX 9 vs DirectX 10 incompatibility issue is BS? Well, that says to me that you are not really familiar with the DirectX and GPU related operations architecture. You can play doom3 ? really ? **** Me! doom3 huh? Im ****ing impressed... You can play doom3 on two more virtual machines running the game, so ****ing what? what settings did you configure on BF2? did you actually compared performances of those games between Vista and XP? what is the relative frames per second ratio? HUH??

You say that you only had 2 BSODs since you installed Vista. I'm getting back to the fact that sheep have a tendency to accept whatever is marketed to them, The fact that you are accepting 2 BSODs as a good thing should make you think- IN THE YEAR OF 2007, WHEN BASIC NANO TECH IS ALREADY FEASIBLE, YOUR PC CRASHED!! Drivers or no drivers related, do you think you will get a BSOD with Apple's Leopard ?

The fact that Vista has more than 6 million lines of code is a disgrace and not a source of pride! (and actually its more like 50 million) Oh yeah, let me educate you with another fact, "totally written from the ground up" you say? What kernal does Vista uses? a "Vista kernal"? NO! you are actually using Windows 2003 with a nicer wrapping. Sorry to burst your bubble but Microsoft didn't built something from the ground up since Windows 95. All of Microsoft's OSs are a manipulation over a manipulation over a manipulation of files and apps, just check similar system files including system dlls that are the same on 2003, XP and Vista. Actually, Microsoft recently announced that their next OS will be the first one that will be made completely from zero, Do you know why? Because it ain't working! they figured out that it will be cheaper for them to start from zero- just read their Q1 report.

Thanks for the offer but I don't want a 3rd party software such as windowblinds, I'm not searching for better looks, I'm searching for efficiency. Why do you think that "to replace the XP one with a Vista one wont work. They are 2 totally different trypes of explorers and cant be switched without some ill effects." ? What is totally different between the two? Its a BROWSER for **** sakes! does it needs designated hardware or something?

Next time posting a reply, do your homework! Until then, you can send billy a love letter.

Peace,

Roee

I'm with mrwiggles. Makevili you do sound like a vista fanboy. NO offense but you seem to get rather irritated and are quick to defend vista.
Anyways, I've encountered issues due to programs being incompatible.
I've reinstalled Vista 4 days ago because I want to re evaluate it. So far....hmmmm, it's been OK. I did not install those incomp. prgrams.

The bottom line is this....if it works for you, congrats! If it doesn't, stick with XP. MS spent billions of $$$ to develop Vista and yet soo many bugs. Doesn't sound like a billion $$$ OS to me.

BTW, if you do google searches, many sites such as cnet, didn't give vista such a favorable review. Again, ms spent billions! OS X, now that's a true OS!

Wasn't XP based on windows server 2000? i thought that's what microsoft normally did ,NT takes shape into the new consumer product. I believe also that the performance hit in games is a given due to poor drivers from graphics card vendors.

Iv been using Vista 64 bit with no problems I got a blue screen once so far it was down to a faulty stick of ram I now have 4 gigs runs like a dream.

I'm not saying Vistas perfect but when I use XP now it lags and just isn't as responsive. I was hoping for more from Vista some new revolutionary step for GUI sadly its not, it is still a **** of a lot more smoother to use than XP so I'm thankful for that and any gaming issues will no doubt be fixed in the coming months and years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom