Vista user's desktop icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
Whenever I change an icon on my Administrator account, it seems to change the icon on a user account. The user account can't delete, rename, or otherwise modify the icon in anyway. But it is only for some icons. Some questions I have are:
  • Why do some icons show up on the other users' desktop while others don't?
  • How do I control the icons on user's account since they are not in the "Desktop" folder of thier User directory unless you specifically drag an icon to their desktop.
  • Why can't they modify their own desktop? I thought even as a User, they would be able to personalise their environment to their liking.

Hello,

Okay for the first question. This is simple. Some applications allow you to install it for all users while others do not. The ones that do not will only be installed for that user account and will not appear on any other user account. That is why those icons are missing because they do not have access to use that application.

For number 2. I dont quite understand what you are asking. You want to control the icons that are on other user accounts desktop? The only way is from the desktop folder of that user account. If they are not present you would have to drag and drop them on there for them.

For number 3. They are a limited user account. They do not have the rights to do so. Limited user accounts can only do what is assigned by them from the Administrator. Nothing mroe nothing less. So if they can not edit their desktop this is because you did not give them permission to.

Cheers,
Mak

How do I give them permission to edit their desktop? And pretty much do everything but modify stuff outside of their user folder.
I always click "install for all users" but never "put icon on desktop".
How do I remove default icons (like GRID, Fable, Soulstorm, etc) from showing up when I make a new user account? Not everyone uses the computer for gaming, so I don't want the desktop to be cluttered with icons about gaming, and anti-virus icons especially if they can't even get rid of them if they wanted to.
I understand about putting .ink files in their desktop folder, but the desktop folder does not represent all the shortcuts available on the desktop. Some of the accounts have passwords on them, and while I COULD elevate them to admin, get their password, and log in to their account and delete the icons, I can't help but think there must be a better, more efficient way to just give every new account a completely blank desktop when it's made.
My computer just got moved to a family of 7, so I'm trying to learn the ropes of multi-user control. I'm trying to make accounts that are basically like padded-wall rooms. They can do what they want, but nothing that could potentially harm the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom