Vista User account control and software problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Vista User account control and software problem

Having a problem with an installed program. It ran after the install it seemed to work fine. Now when I try to open it via a short cut or the application icon in its folder I get an error. It says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I am logged in as the owner and using the properties > security tabs I believe I have verified that all access is allowed.

I also get this message when I am using a third party program which can be used for this game.

There was an exception while attempting to load 'C:\Program Files\Ultima Online 2D\cliloc.ENU':
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files\Ultima Online 2D\cliloc.enu" is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Ultima.StringList..ctor(String language)
at Assistant.Language.LoadCliLoc()

It won't open using the third party Razor program or using the program alone (ultima online).

My thought was to disable the user account control and see it is allowed to run, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Vista User account control and software problem

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the program. It seems to restrict access after I restart my computer.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Vista User account control and software problem

I'm not too great with their 'security' settings - they seem obvious, but for example - running nTune, I gave the application full permissions (all users--even guests!), yet it refuses to give permissions. The only way around it is to right click and run as admin.

Because of that, I disabled the very annoying feature 'UAC', which is probably Vista's only benefit.