Vista - Ultra slow login, but only in regular mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm working with someone's laptop here, trying to get it working again without having to redo the entire thing. I've done numerous virus/malware scans and while it found a few things, didn't seem to help the issue. I've also ran ccleaner on it and removed all programs from automatically starting up. It has 1gb of RAM, which screams pain when you talk about Vista running on it, but even still, the system performs great in safe mode. However when in regular mode, once you log in it'll take upwards of 10-12 minutes (yes, I've timed it) to present me with the desktop. In the mean time, it sits at a black screen. Once it's loaded, it runs dog **** slow. But again, safe mode it zips around just fine.

Something is telling me to redo it anyway just because things don't feel "right" with it. It belongs to someone who is just online to check the news, weather, and facebook. They don't do any downloading or anything else.

Good thought. I'll try that whenever it gets done defragging. It's been defragging for about 6 hours. :/

No dice. I've tried numerous "fixes" I read about online. I'm going to do the recovery now, however, it's proving to be a headache in itself. I used clonezilla to make an image backup of the entire disk, and as extra security I also selected "backup personal documents" when I launched the recovery.

It's been 4 hours and it's at 2%. Really? Really? I can do a complete backup of the entire disk in 50 minutes but a backup of "personal documents" is going to take 50 hours?

Anyway, I'm just crashing it. I've invested enough time into it and didn't get any warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom