Vista Taking for Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRoc

Solid State Member
Okay, so I built a new computer and I'm trying to install Vista Home Prem. It takes a long time even get the Install now option to come up. I set up a raid 0 before trying to install vista, could that be the problem? It just seems to be sitting there "loading". Whats going on with this thing? Could it be any hardware problems?

EDIT: OMG, right when I hit post, the product key came up I guess its supposed to take a really long time then?

I guess I was wrong, I installed vista twice now with no luck. After it installs it restarts and when it goes to load vista the blue screen with the error message comes on but it then it restarts and I can't do anything except boot from the disk... Please some one help me! This is not the first time Ive installed an OS before either...

Vista does not take that long to install. I have had it start and finish within 20 Minutes. I would say that it has a issue with your RAID setup.

Vista does not take that long to install. I have had it start and finish within 20 Minutes. I would say that it has a issue with your RAID setup.

What would you suggest I do? I'm a noob at raid and I thought I set it up right but maybe I didn't.

I wouldn't use RAID. That is the first suggestion i can say. Test the system out first without RAID to see if it works. Then do some more research on how to setup the system with RAID.

I had issues trying to install vista to a raid also. But one thing you might try is only using 1 stick of memory.

alright, I got rid of the raid and im only using one stick of ram, I just dont know why it takes so long for it load, it seems like it should take so long. oh well, i hope this works.

Update:
I tried installing XP instead and this is what I get:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. then it goes on to say, remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

I also tried vista one more time and when I get to the part where you pick the partitions it won't let because it says it doesn't meet the criteria to allow it to be installed...

I did forget to mention that when I first turned the computer on a fan on the case was messed up and it almost caught on fire. I removed it and everything seemed to work just fine. But I guess it doesn't.

Could be a hardware issue. Try using GParted and format the drive fresh before you install. Could also be a issue with the setup there.

To save me making a new thread, if you make a partition with Gparted can you remove the partition and make it as one whole drive again whenever you like? ive never done this before

Yes and no. If you are combine the partitions when they are empty then yes. But if you have data on them it is much trickier. As that data has to be moved from the one partition to the other. Which is not easily done. GParted can do this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom