Vista still worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I'm a long time XP user, but I've just ordered the parts for my first PC build and am not sure what OS to put on it.

I really want Win7 x64 but I really just can't swing the dough for it at the moment.

I have plenty of friends who have the Vista CD and have offered to let me load that.

So a couple questions... Is Vista still worth running? And are there different CD's for x32 and x64 or will it install the one your CPU supports?

I really want x64 but when I checked my friends specs she had x32 on her computer so wasn't sure if that's just because of her CPU or because she only has the 32bit version.

Thanks guys!

If you are spending the money on a new computer you can drop another 100 on windows 7. While I liked vista 7 is a ton better and if the computer can handle it I would use it.

If you want to run the 64 bit version you need to have the 64-bit dvd. If your friend is already using the OS on her computer then you can't also use it. Only one user can use the product key to activate Windows. If your talking about a pirate version we can't help you.

I was just asking about the bits, nothing to do with pirating. Obviously it was implied but thanks for pointing it out Slay, here's your Microsoft Task Force badge ;p

Lex, I exhausted my budget on the parts sadly. And I was only on a $500 budget to begin with, had to re-use a lot of parts from the old PC. So another $100 is tough for me.

I'll figure something out, thanks for letting me know about needing a x64 DVD for Vista, though.

I would personally recommend anything you can get over Vista. I know a lot of people don't like it due to compatibility issues with games - but Ubuntu also has a x64 version. I'd even go with Windows XP 32 bit over Vista, simply because of stability. Granted, XP's paging file size is unfortunately small to run on modern computers - you would get much better memory usage out of Windows 7.

The plain and simple fact is this. Vista is only worth it if you find it worth it. Win7 is above and beyond Vista in every way. So if you really want to deal with the hassles of Vista, then go for it.

But really, you would be better served saving the extra $$ and buying Win7. I had to reuse a lot of old parts from my last build with this build. I did that just so i could get Win7. The choice is yours to make. You are choosing to spend all the money on parts instead of buying an OS to use with the parts. That is your choice.

I would seriously suggest running Ubuntu or something like that until you can save up the $$ for Win7. Either that or return a couple of things that you can use the old parts of and get Win7 now and the parts later.

I'll just get Win7 I guess.

I have a buddy who was about to throw away his old laptop (nice laptop, like a year old) just cause it had a virus, I was like dude I can just wipe the HD and boom new computer. He said take it... So I can sell that and make the cash I suppose.

I could also save $65 if I did the build myself (paying a guy to do it). But I am nervous to do that... I know all the parts, it's the wires and connectors that confuse me :(

Edit: I know how to build the parts into the mobo, and where everything goes, just not really how to connect it. Not sure even how to take the old parts out! Sigh.

It's easy...just take your time, pay attention to what went where, how things fit, etc. Don't force anything into somewhere its not supposed to go.

If you have to, watch some videos on YouTube about building computers. A lot of people put up videos on how to piece together a computer, and you'll see its really easy.

You will need a retail or full version. Just cause we said $100 doesnt mean anything. We could say it is free, that doesnt make it so.

That is exactly what you need. Just make sure to read the disclosure under the specifications. As you will not get any help from Microsoft with buying an OEM product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom