Vista Start Programs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Vista Start Programs

In Vista... the programs are in alphabetical order... is there any way to drag them into a custom order like previous versions of windows? Another question... when updates are available and you don't want to update those specific updates... and there important whereas you can't just hide them because they appear again anyway... is there anyway to just say "no i don't want those updates?"

Old 12-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Vista Start Programs

I can point you at Brain Dump with an article on customizing the Vista Start menu seen at Page 4 - Personalizing Vista

The trick for avoiding certain updates for any version of Windows is to go directly to the MS update sire and choose the "custom" not "express" option there. That allows you to check the optional software/hardware updates as well as unchecking the ones you don't want. I do that for avoiding WMP 11 on XP here since MS left out the visualizations that came with 10 and earlier.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

What are visualizations that are in the previous versions of WMP?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeCpc View Post
I can point you at Brain Dump with an article on customizing the Vista Start menu seen at Page 4 - Personalizing Vista

The trick for avoiding certain updates for any version of Windows is to go directly to the MS update sire and choose the "custom" not "express" option there. That allows you to check the optional software/hardware updates as well as unchecking the ones you don't want. I do that for avoiding WMP 11 on XP here since MS left out the visualizations that came with 10 and earlier.
This doesnt work in Vista. It has its own Windows which you choose the updates from. You do not go to the update site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroShade View Post
What are visualizations that are in the previous versions of WMP?
The visualizations are jsut the things that show in the now playing screen when you have music playing. They can all be downloaded from teh WMP site.

As for your issue, no there is no way in Vista to tellvit you dont want a specific update. If it is a important update it wil continue to bug you to install it cause there is a purpose for that update and it should be installed. Hence why it is labeled IMPORTANT. So sadly there is no way to hide it.

As for the custom Start Menu try the link. The new start menu is nice and i personally like it that way. I dont have to waste my time messing with it. At least i know where to find stuff when i need it.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
This doesnt work in Vista. It has its own Windows which you choose the updates from. You do not go to the update site.

The visualizations are jsut the things that show in the now playing screen when you have music playing. They can all be downloaded from teh WMP site.
The first thing to correct there is that the visualizations available for download at MS are still for XP not Vista. In fact some of those are for WMP 7 still seen there.

As for selecting updates and refusing some the option to turn off the automatic updates and select from the list available can be seen in the screen shots here.

First you have the option found in the control panel to disable the auto update feature.

Then you allow the update tool to run a scan for any available.

And last all you do is simply "choose" which ones you want and see those checked off while unchecking any you don't want.

Closed Thread