Vista speech recognition - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2007, 04:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Graphic Designer
Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2
Thumbs down Vista speech recognition

Speech recognition on Windows Vista is a very new software which does not work properly and mskes the use of vista whithin it a waste of time. I think that microsoft should not realease speech recognition on windows vista, cause this software is not very applicable, so it's not a nice utility of windows vista.

Mike from Greece, 14

Old 04-15-2007, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Vista speech recognition

You have got to be the first person i have heard say this. Everyone i know thinks that the Speech Recognization in Vista is almost as close to Dragon Naturally Speaking. Which is probably the best on the market.

Have you gone thru all the tutorials? Do you speak loudly AND clearly? Do you use a GOOD microphone? If you can not answer yes to all 4 of them then of course you will say it sucks. But then you might as well say that Voice recognization sucks in general cause it cant pick up the slander used in todays language or the fact that it cant pick up abbreviations nor incorrectly pronounced words.

The fact is that within Vista i have, along with quite a few others, have found the voice recognition to be among the best. I have used it to put this up right now. With haveing to make only a couple of corrections for the capital words i wanted to put in there among a couple other things i did. But for the most part i used IE7 and Voice for this. So i dont see how you can just say it sucks without giving any reason. Might as well say that UT2007 is gonna suck when it comes out cause we havent gotten it yet.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-15-2007, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Graphic Designer
Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2

I have done all tutorials and I use agood quality microphone, I aslo have done some extra practice etc. It can very easily identify what people says but does sometimes important mistakes, the waste of time is correcting it by commanding with speech. In fact it can be my pronunciation even though I speak in the correct order and very eloquently, the problem might also be that I speak fast, not so fast as i speak in greek though, there I make vowels lasting less. I still think that speech recognition needs time to be applicable enough, microsoft should download from users the tutorials and speech tests they have made to enhance it's quality, so the program would be able to understand far more types of voices and accents.

Mike from Greece, 14
Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i tried the dragon software and it comes with its own high quality microphone....just wondering....what kind of microphone do u consider high quality..... is it the shure or sennheiser cus those r usually the best. and vista is good but it can get wierd if u have alot of background least thats what happened to me.....but yah...DRAGON ROCKS hopefully windows vista II will have one that is like dragon's
Closed Thread