Vista speculations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastasauce

Baseband Member
Well, I'm planning to purchase Vista and I have a few questions;

The main games I will be playing are, World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike: Source, Crysis, Bioshock and maybe a few free MMORPG's for fun.

Everyone says theres some problems with Vista and it makes me not want to get it. Some people say it doesn't run certain games and stuff like that. Is XP really that much better than Vista? Will all my applications work properly?

Also I have 4GB of RAM will all of it be supported on Vista? I'm currently running XP and I have files on it. Do I have to erase all my files to load Vista? Or can I keep all of my data. And I heard Vista has DirectX 10, do I have to do anything besides run it on my computer to use DirectX 10?

Well, I'm planning to purchase Vista and I have a few questions;

The main games I will be playing are, World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike: Source, Crysis, Bioshock and maybe a few free MMORPG's for fun.

Everyone says theres some problems with Vista and it makes me not want to get it. Some people say it doesn't run certain games and stuff like that. Is XP really that much better than Vista? Will all my applications work properly?

Also I have 4GB of RAM will all of it be supported on Vista? I'm currently running XP and I have files on it. Do I have to erase all my files to load Vista? Or can I keep all of my data. And I heard Vista has DirectX 10, do I have to do anything besides run it on my computer to use DirectX 10?

Vista is working a little better for games and everything right now I am using a dual boot and what does not work in vista works great in xp. To get the most out of your 4 gigs o ram your are going to need a 64 bit vista os. Other wise you are only going to get vista to read three. For the DX10 it works great and only works on vista mainly why I have dual boot. You might want to wait till service pack one comes out itf you are worried about compatability issues with vista ans it should be coming out soon as well as service pack three for xp:happy: .

The people who cry about vista either dont have the computer to handle it or havent actually used it. I run vista 64 on my 2nd partition and the only reason its not my main Os is because i cant get my 3 vid card setup working. Also it likes to BSOD when i have 4 sticks of memory, but i think thats mostly because my 680i board ate some of my memory.

Very true I don't see what the big fuss is about vista it not half bad a little pricey but I mean what isn't? For me there are very few things that will not work in vista the only thing that does not work in vista for me is my all in one printer and that does bother me cause it is a nice printer. Stupid Lexmark....

Heh, just noticed yer in houston falcon. How much does it suck down there now. I grew up there and after katrina you couldnt pay me enough to move back there.

vista runs beautifully for me. i play all of the games you listed, crashfree, without error.

in fact the only error i've seen so far is a download accelerator plus crash that happens occasionally. i just re-start it lol big deal.

and ati-tool will not work in vista. cant remember why but the site has an explanation for it. kindof a bother but nothing serious.

Heh, just noticed yer in houston falcon. How much does it suck down there now. I grew up there and after katrina you couldnt pay me enough to move back there.

Right now not so bad but looking to move soon as well I hate it her thinking of moving the family up north more hate the weather its like its 200 hundred degrees all the time even tonight were not even getting to freezing....

i have vista, play wow and tested it at 1600x1200 with 60fps.

That's using e6600, 2 gb ram, ati 1800 512mb, intel 975xbx mobo...etc

I haven't played crysis or bioshock.

Freebie online games I have played with high or maxed visuals

Silkroad Online
Corum
Rappelz
9 dragons
2 moons

You might have to tweak some "compat" settings with some of those but they all run max or near max for me on Vista. Most if not all of those forums have guides to get their games to run on Vista, if they haven't actually updated their games to be fully Vista compat yet.

Turned off UAC and it runs fine for me in my triple-boot setup (XP on one drive, Vista/Ubuntu on another drive). Only programs that I encountered that didn't work for me were ATITool (using RivaTuner on Vista, and ATITool on XP), and Nero 7. Scored about 100 or so points less on Vista than I did on XP (I'm assuming Aero was the culprit of this...but no biggie, still runs perfectly fine). Only recognized 3.5GB of RAM of my 4GB cuz I got a 32-bit version..and no BSOD's. I've only encountered BSOD's in XP on this machine (although its from user-cause, because I OC'd my GPU too much and it crashed xD)... speaking of GPU's... it seems like I'm getting more BSOD's with the newer drivers for my 8800GTS 320MB...where can I download older forceware drivers for my card? Cuz about 2 forceware versions ago, my GPU ran like a champ at 650/1000, but now I had to lower it =\.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom