Vista slow startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentali$T

Daemon Poster
Today when i turned on my computer i noticed that the startup was extremely slow. After the green bars load up the screen went blank and stayed like it for a good few minutes and then goes to the login screen but usually it will take a few seconds :(

Any ideas on how to speed it up?

Thanks

What have you installed recently? What kind of apps do you have starting up with Vista?

I have installed a few different apps like 3D S Max, 3D Game Studio and some games but these dont start running when the computer turns on. I know 3D S Max does have something run at startup but that doesnt use a lot of memory.

Are you sure that the application is compatable with Vista? If not they could be what are bogging down your system at boot.

I just added 2GB to make a total of 3GB on my system and i can truly say i see a difference.

I have used a total of 42.9 Gb :O lol didnt realise that. This is on one hard drive which is partitioned into 2. So vista on one and XP on the other. Could that slow it down at all?

I'm not entirely sure they are completely compatible but all the programs i have installed do run fine and any that dont i uninstall.

Even if programs aren't compatible, as long as they're not launched at startup they won't have any part in your computer booting slowly, or in any way at all...

I don't have Vista, but I advise you do a system restore, I take it they have kept it in with Vista. If you don't know how to do it, use Google for the XP method. ;)

The System Restore is buggy in Vista still. That is the one major bug still left.

But overall i still think it is a compatablity issue. You said the 1 proggy has a startup app. Then turn that off and see if it helps at all. If so then you know what the problem is. If not then we have to dig a bit deeper.

Also what are you using for a AV?

Yeah i thought it was still buggy.

Ohh i think i know what it is. I installed the newest version of Zone Alarms which isnt compatible for some reason even being the newest one. This is probably causing the slow startup.
I use Live OneCare.

Makaveli what AV you using in Vista? I dont know how long Zone Labs will take to bring out a compatible version so will need to buy one soon.

Thanks

I use Avast!

Free and fully compatable with Vista. I dont know of any firewall that works just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom