Vista shrink volume -- piece of crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I want a bootable partition of my 80GB notebook drive so i can put XP on it, but Vista's shrink volume feature doesn't work. It says that there is no shrinkable space, even though i have 39GB free space. I defragmented the drive about 4 times, and tried all kinds of things to get it to work (like disable hibernation, system restore, etc.) but still nothing. I tried 3 different defragmentation programs and they all show the last 30% of the drive clean. I know that Partition magic doesn't work on vista (because vista is retarded), so I need some way to make a small (maybe 5GB) partition without screwing up any of my data. Can anyone help?

Use GParted. It is better than the built in Vista Disk Management tool.

ok, so that GParted program can make bootable partitions without screwing up any of my data right?

The partitions themselves are not bootable. That is what bootloaders are for. ;) Like GRUB, boot.ini for XP and the BCD for Vista.

GParted will allow you to create empty space before or after your Vista install that you can use to create a active partition that you can use to install XP on it. From there you will have to use the VIsta Recovery DVD to get the Vista bootlaoder back and add a XP entry to it so that you can dual boot.

For more information on this visit

NeoSmart Technologies

The applicaiton EasyBCD will help you accomplish this task easily.

Ok, so how do you use GParted. just got done downloading it, so do I have to burn it on a CD and boot from it?

I started it up and it showed one big 74GB part, and I couldn't shrink it or partition it because it said that there is no space available (even though it's 1/2 empty).

I don't know if this helps but a while back I had the HP Recovery 9GB partition (it came like that), so I did a right-click > Format > quick format on it in Vista and used the Disk Management tool to extend and make the hard drive whole. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom