Vista registry cleaner ... for freeze or hang up,

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy

Baseband Member
Does Vista have a utility to clean|fix the regisrty ?

If not is there a good freeware version ?

Looking into a issue with Vist locking up/freezing from time to time.
It lasts 1-2 min, and nothing will work, not even alt-ctrl-del

I don't think its spyware etc, as I've cleaned it up.

Anyhow, some said it might be regisrty related.

It is not your registry. You probably just have too many things at one time, causing it to choke. Could also be overheating. What are your computer specs?

Don't usually have that many things running, maybe 4 Firefox windows, but nothing actually running
on them.
I'ts a Desktop, and fans are running so I don't think its a heating issue.

In the background I meant. Pull up Task Manager and see what processes are taking up RAM or CPU space.

Just because the fans are spinning, does not mean your CPU is cool. Get HWMonitor and show us a screenshot. Screenshot guide in my sig.

Also, we need your whole desktop specifications. Manufacturer and model.

Just cause the fans are running doesnt mean anything. When was the last time you cleaned out the heat sinks? Your fans can run nonstop, but if the heat sinks are caked with dust all the fans are doing is moving air around the case not actually cooling anything.

A Registry issue will not result in freezing for 1-2 minutes. That is a system lockup due to to many resources being used and the system having to work through all of the requests. 4 Firefox windows can easily account for this. I have seen Firefox take up over a GB of RAM with 2 tabs. Not to mention 4 windows of it open.

Your issue is not the Registry. Cleaning the Registry will not gain you anything and in fact can cause the reverse effect you want. As you will fragment the Registry and cause your system to have to work harder to find the entries it is looking for. The Registry is like 1 big text file. If the entry it is looking for is slated to be number 1,528 it knows where to find it. Now you run a cleaner and it removes 500 entries from before the one it is looking for now it has to scan the entire Registry again to find the entry, causing the system to take longer to run the program. The exact opposite of what you want. It could cause your system to freeze for 5 minutes or more.

What are your system specs? That will be a better indication of what is going on than thinking it is a Registry issue.

I had it opened up not too long ago, seemed clean, I'll check the heat sinks.
I do tend to have 4-6 FF sessions opened (not tabs, separate windows) although none of the other
sessions is actually doing anything (maybe sitting at a google screen, or at my email etc) as opposed
to having 3 youtube videos going....

So I assumed just having them opened wouldn't really cause an issue ??

Seeming clean is not clean. Also as I have already stated, 1 session of Firefox can use upto 1 GB of RAM. Having 4-6 sessions can cause upwards of 6GB of RAM Usage. So again i state not a Registry issue. Your taxing your system to much.

Gotcha on the reg. not being the issue, probably spyware too.

p.s. on the browser issue are you saying that if one browser window not running anything, (lets say sitting
at the google window, as opposed to yahoo etc where they're getting new, sports updates.... etc, that that is still taking up processor time ?

Honestly Bud, everything you do on a Desktop or some form of Computer uses Resorces.. Everthing you are doing with FF, Youtube ect: is two Much for your System to Handle by the Sounds of it..

Simple Issue mite be that you Need to Install more Memory.. If you Post your Speks of the System and what Operating System you are useing, and any Screen Shots if you can.. You will get advice on how to cut down useing your system Intensly.. Post any Screen Shots if you can with the Speks..

Here are some of the specs:

Vista Home premium
Service pack 1

Intel (R) CPU 2160 @1.80 ghz 1.80 ghz
Ram 2 gb
32 bit
HD 465 gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom