Vista recommended updates question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum4c

Baseband Member
This has got me stumped.

Because I have it set up to do so, Widows occasionally informs me of recommended updates for my Vista O/S. I almost always allow the O/S updates, but have never d/l'd the hardware (driver?) updates because I can never find out ahead of time what they are for. For example, when you look at the available updates and right click on one of the optional ones, you can click on "view details" and another box pops up which has a "More information" link....that goes nowhere. At least using Firefox as a browser. Dead page. If I copy the address from the link and load it into Explorer, it goes to a generic Microsoft Windows help site. Still no pertinent info about what the d/l is for.

So how does one find out what these optional updates are actually for? Ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Each update corresponds with a KB (Knowledge Base) Article on the Microsoft site. Use the Microsoft Search or Live Search and look up the KB number. That will give you the page in which that update is in reference to.

usually the recommended updates are for your hardware and mostly self explanatory, unless your not familiar with the hardware.

try changing auto updates to inform you that new updates are available but let you choose whether or not to install them.. you should be able to get a look at them up close and personal that way.. and just refer to your MB and hardware literature.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried searching Microsoft for each of the updates offered, and couldn't find anything on any of them. Here is an example of one of them:

Cypress - Other hardware - HX2LP Kit (3.03.0000.2)

Download size: 105 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Cypress Other hardware software update released in December, 2008

More information:
Winqual Help

Help and Support:
Select a Product Solution Center

I tried clicking on the links as well as going to Microsoft and Live Search but as I mentioned before, I got nowhere. I did a Google search for this particular one and found out that most people who install it run into problems, so I don't plan to d/l it anyway. You'd think if Microsoft is going to offer updates for your hardware that they'd make it easier to find out what they're for. Frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom