Vista Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
I Rule You
Send a message via AIM to FadingTheory Send a message via Yahoo to FadingTheory
Default Vista Problems

Okay, I got Windows Vista Home Premium to install on my computer (I'm in Iraq, and I get bored. I needed something to tinker with). My first install worked wonderfully, with no problems, even letting me play STALKER, SupCom, and numerous XP applications. I went home on leave for 2 weeks, came back, and found my OS to have expired (didnt activate it), and couldnt activate it without setting up my internet connection (which Vista would nto allow me to do). I formated, reinstalled... and found that Vista now randomlly BSODs. SupCom, when I can get my computer to stay up long enough, displays flittery graphics and no sound. Basically, the system is unusable. Microsoft cant give me a good answer (whee...). I was wondering if anyone else is having these problems, or knows what to do. I know I could go back to XP (I did have that on a seperate hard drive, but it seems Vista ate it when I installed it), but I'm not accustomed to giving up and I refuse to let Microsoft beat me. I appreciate the help.

System is as follows...

Processor: AMD 4200+ X2
Video Card: eVGA NVidia 7900 GTX (not SLI)
Mother board: MSI NVidia 570i SLI
Power Supply: 650 WATT Thermaltake
Memory: 4 GB Corsair Value Select DDR 667
hard Drives: Seagate 250 GB SATA (Win XP and old Files)
Seagate 75 GB SATA (Windows Vista)

Sorry to be a bother.

Iraq... whee.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Vista Problems

Did you do a fresh install the 2nd time as well when all these problems occured?

Have you tried to insert your XP disc in and fix the MBR?

I do know that Vista 32 Bit max RAM it can handle is 4GB. It could also be your mobo drivers. Best bet is to try again. Hopefully things will work out better for you. Just when installing Vista make sure that you format the drive first during setup.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
I Rule You
Send a message via AIM to FadingTheory Send a message via Yahoo to FadingTheory
Default Re: Vista Problems

I should have noted that I've installed twice since the initial failure, and both times I have formated the hard drive. Mobo drivers are as new as can be (can't remember the version I'mon, downloaded a week ago.).

Also... my SATA drives are whoing up as SCSI drives. Is that normal?
Iraq... whee.
Closed Thread