Vista OS X problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Napster

In Runtime
Hey I installed vista SP1 and then this vista os x conversion theme.(Vista OS X official Site) and it halfway worked, the exit buttons were switched around but everything else was the same then i restarted the computer and it boots to the logon screen and it has the osx theme but when i log on i get lots of errors saying....dwm.exe unable to locate component--the app has failed to start because UxTheme.dll was not found. re-installing the app may fix this problem.....click ok and i get the same box but for explorer.exe then it tells me explorer has stopped working and then that desktop window manager has stopped working....then i am left with a blank screen. Task manager doesnt work either i can only log back out.

Now..how do i fix this without reformatting? ive tried putting in the vista os disc and repairing (doesnt work) repairing startup items (finds no problems) and system restore to before sp1 install (it hangs on recovering files for hours and hours, left it on all night, also no harddrive activity happens while restoring)...so im out of ideas...any insight would help and i have an idea of replacing these files through command prompt but im not skilled enough with cmd to do it

nope safe mode has same problems....the most i get out of it is command promptm that is the only thing that works. The theme is still applied in safe mode and all i get is those errors and no access to any user interface as far as i know. if there is a way to uninstall it using cmd then it should work

You can not fix this without a format. The applicaiton replaced critical files that are needed to Windows. As you have seen. So unless there is a uninstaller in the folder where you installed it to then you will be forced to reinstall.

That is why things like this are so dangerous.

so if there is an uninstaller in the folder how would i access it? and this is the only route without reformatting....:(

Yes this is the only route since Vista does not have a repair option.

If there is just use command lines to get to the uninstaller and run it.

CD if for change directory. dir /p will scroll the pages one page at a time. help will give you the help commands.

ok i learned up on cmd and went to uninstall but it wouldnt uninstall.....so i thought y not try the install again what do i have to lose....and it worked! my computer works again with the osx theme fully working...haha works for me. Thanx for all your help in giving me that idea. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom