Vista OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpixel

Daemon Poster
If I need to reinstall my Vista Home Premium, but, I have added new/different hardware(motherboard, CPU) will I still be able to install Vista? I also heard their is a limit on how many times you can reuse that product cd key with the OEM version.

You can install but it might not activate. With a new mobo and CPU Microsoft considers that a new PC. Which technically it is. That is the heart and brain of a PC.

But you can install the serial just wont activate. With OEM copies of Vista you can only install it on the same machine it comes with without any issues. Trying to use a OEM on 2 different machines wont work.

So basically there is a limit of 1 activation per hardware change. So you can install. You will jaut have to come up with a really good reason for M$ when you call them why they should activate you again.

You can install but it might not activate. With a new mobo and CPU Microsoft considers that a new PC. Which technically it is. That is the heart and brain of a PC.

But you can install the serial just wont activate. With OEM copies of Vista you can only install it on the same machine it comes with without any issues. Trying to use a OEM on 2 different machines wont work.

So basically there is a limit of 1 activation per hardware change. So you can install. You will jaut have to come up with a really good reason for M$ when you call them why they should activate you again.

Will my Vista still work, if I swap out the CPU and MOBO right now? If yes, if I have to reformat, i install the old hardware, install vista, then put my newer hardware in? That really sucks lol.

Deadpixel you cant do what you think. Cause the new hardware wont be registered and there for your copy of Vista will then de-activate and you will have to activate it again. Not to mention that Vista has some of the basic proerties that XP does. Which means that by using the old hardware to install Vista will only cause you more grief. After putting in your new hardware Vista might not even start. If it does will give you a bunch of errors or even a BSOD. Then you would be coming here asking questions about that. So the only thing you can do is install Vista and hope that it activates. If not call M$ and see what they say.

Deadpixel you cant do what you think. Cause the new hardware wont be registered and there for your copy of Vista will then de-activate and you will have to activate it again. Not to mention that Vista has some of the basic proerties that XP does. Which means that by using the old hardware to install Vista will only cause you more grief. After putting in your new hardware Vista might not even start. If it does will give you a bunch of errors or even a BSOD. Then you would be coming here asking questions about that. So the only thing you can do is install Vista and hope that it activates. If not call M$ and see what they say.

eww, that really sucks lol. But I was reading what someone linked me to it said I cant change motherboards, but I dont think it said anythin about CPU's. Anyway thanks for the help

Yes technically you can change the CPU. But most times a motherboard is only capable of a new CPU that is within the same line. I have not seen a mobo that can do a P4 and Core 2 Duo line. OR even a Core 2 Duo and a Core 2 Duo Extreme.

I mean if you are gonna upgrade why just go with a CPU? It isnt gonna give you much advantage getting a couple of MHz. Most of the time it requires a whole new mobo to get what you want. Which is where they get you cause the you have to get a new license.

Yes technically you can change the CPU. But most times a motherboard is only capable of a new CPU that is within the same line. I have not seen a mobo that can do a P4 and Core 2 Duo line. OR even a Core 2 Duo and a Core 2 Duo Extreme.

I mean if you are gonna upgrade why just go with a CPU? It isnt gonna give you much advantage getting a couple of MHz. Most of the time it requires a whole new mobo to get what you want. Which is where they get you cause the you have to get a new license.

Im just thinking If I get the 6600, or the 6700, which is compatible with my mobo. But that really sucks spend 100+ dollars on Vista, and then if I wanna change stuff Im kidna screwedlol. Ok thanks for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom