Vista not recognizing both drives in raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0ltan

Baseband Member
So I have a fresh install of vista, installed the drivers I needed during the set up, and got windows going. I know that my BIOS settings are correct for my raid setup.

So, from then I was told i need to initialize the raid by right clicking on something. I looked around for a while in disk manager and in device manager. problem is in disk manager it only shows one of the 500 gb drives that is in the array. I go into the device manager to look at the disks and it only shows 1 of them as "raid0" and when right click-> properties->volumes and click populate, it only shows 500 gb. :freak: Then I open up the Intel Matrix Storage console and it shows both HDD's in the raid. Both have a status of normal and everything looks happy. I right click on the raid0 array and verify data. I let that run and it finds no errors.

that leads me to beleive that both drives are working fine. BUT, I dunno whats going on. Called tech support and they are confused as well. Anyone run into a similar problem or have any ideas? I'm almost ready to just format the 2 drives seperate, I really don't want to lose all my information, but I have work to do and no workstation to work on :(

do you have 2 250gb (raid0 = 1 visual 500gb )drives or 2 500gb (raid1 = 1 visual 500gb) drives. Did you set up the array with the utility (kinda like bios) or was it set up that way before or are you setting it up for the first time?

2 500gb drives. It was set up previously on xp pro 64. I then unplugged the 2 drives in raid, wiped the 80 gb. Then I made sure the settings were legit in my BIOS, shut down. Reconnected the 2 drives in raid, and ran the vista installer. Installed the drivers (the ones the guys at BOXX gave me, they built the computer) during vista setup, installed on the 80 gig and thats where I am at now.

From what you are saying it sounds as though it is a raid1 (mirrored with redundant data or each drive has the same information). That would be the best setup for data. If that is the case the point of the raid array is to have 2 drives that "appear" as 1. Just right mouse click the single "appearing" drive in disk management and initialize it then you can format and be good to go.

Def raid 0. Speed is what was important. 3d graphics workstation. I know that it was 0 because i had like 930 some odd gb of storage space and I just checked the sticker on the drives and they are both 500 gb

Ok thanks. What motherboard do you have? Was the raid array originally set up via windows? On my board I press alt s i think as it is booting to get into the raid utility. Have you looked here or have you done everything inside window? Do you have current backups of your work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom