vista not loading, over write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oglach

Beta member
my laptop dell inspiron 1501 was working grand until this week, it loads up and goes black then where it should ask you for password to logon to windows

when i try start in safe mode, it loads all syste, files, then at the end of that says their is a problem loading

"systemroot/system32/config/software

CORRUPT, ABSENT OR NOT WRITABLE"

anyone know wtf? or if i get a vista disc and overwrite vista just to get system files restored so i can get my files?

also would it be possible move files from c:/ prompt or whatever if laptop wont show me desktop, maybe from HD into a external HD

Vista does not have a repair utility, so you are going to have to reinstall the OS.

If you have th ability the easiest way to transfer your files before formatting would be to take the HD out and use a converter to connect it to a USB drive of another computer. If you can't do that, then yes you can use the command line interface.

I would also suggest possibly using a linux live CD as a temporary OS until you've backedup your information.

Vista does not have a repair utility, so you are going to have to reinstall the OS.

If you have th ability the easiest way to transfer your files before formatting would be to take the HD out and use a converter to connect it to a USB drive of another computer. If you can't do that, then yes you can use the command line interface.

I would also suggest possibly using a linux live CD as a temporary OS until you've backedup your information.

whats a linux live cd?
How do i get the command line interface from when laptop turns on, if cant reach the desktop
can you give me the easiest way back up my files? please

A Linux LiveCD is exactly what it sounds like. It is a Linux Distro that can be booted and run right from teh CD. This is used for purposes such as this where access to the Windows isntall is not possible. Just about every Linux Distro has a LiveCD now. Ubuntu, Kubuntu and the *ubuntu spin offs all have it. Just as FreeBSD, Knippox and a few others. Just ahve to download the LiveCD version and use it to boot from and from there get your files burned to a DVD or move them to a external drive.

To get to the command line interface you will need the Vista DVD or the Vista Recovery CD. This will give you the option to use the command line.

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

All is explained there on how to use the Recovery CD. Remember that CD has NO INSTALL FILES. So you can not use that to reinstall Vista. You will still need the Vista DVD to reinstall Vista.

Ok where can i get linux live cd?

is this it?

just download 1st link to cd?

sorry for q's just want to get this started and done
Linux Live for CD & USB

do i have to burn this as an image to dvd-r from this laptop befotre i use it on the other laptop?

Like i said it depends on which Distro you want to use. Each Distro has the Live CD available from their respective website.

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu
^Ubuntu

How Can You Get Kubuntu? | Kubuntu
^Kubuntu

Get Xubuntu | Xubuntu.org
^Xubuntu

Download Edubuntu | edubuntu
^edubuntu

Getting FreeBSD
^freebsd

Each one of those has a LiveCD version available for download. along with many others like Puppy linux DSL and so many more. You jsut have to find the distro that is right for you.

The site you linked to is jsut a script. You would ahve to build and compile the kernel yourself. Not what you are looking for. try one of the links i provided.

downloading now, will let you know how it goes

downloaded that but there noway il be able get the files ontp cvd if running from cd haha

maybe a usb?

USB yes. Many of us run a DVD ROM and a DVD Burner. So it is possible for us to run a LvieCD and burn at the same time. If you are on a laptop then no this wont be possible. Would have to hook up a USB Thumbdrive or USB External drive to get the files off.

downloaded that but there noway il be able get the files ontp cvd if running from cd haha

maybe a usb?

Try this from the live cd you downloaded.

Go to the Windows\system32\config folder.

Delete COMPONENTS and rename COMPONENTS.bak to COMPONENTS
Delete SAM and rename SAM.bak to SAM
Delete SYSTEM and SYSTEM.bak to SYSTEM
Delete SOFTWARE and rename SOFTWARE.bak to SOFTWARE
Delete SECURITY and rename SECURITY.bak to SECURITY
Delete DEFAULT and rename DEFAULT.bak to DEFAULT

If you don't have any .bak files you'll find copies in the Windows\System32\config\RegBack\ folder. Just copy and replace.

Now reboot without the CD.

If it reboots run your virus scanner. You need to find out what hosed your registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom