Vista Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcortes

Fully Optimized
hey guys i was thinking about installing and testing vista rc1 but i wasnt sure what i would have to do. i dont want to have to reinstall my current xp setup so how does it work exactly.

You have one hard drive? You can make the XP the primary and active, create an extended partition with 1 logical partition occupying the entire extended partition and install Vista RC1 into that logical partition. That way when you boot Vista up, XP pro becomes drive D and you can view it's content. The dual boot part Vista will automatically handle that for you, you don't really need to do anything except make a partition and install Vista through the DVD.

If you have SATA hard drive it should be supported automatically.

ok and i have a new comp that im building its the one in my specs but i wont have money for the os for a while and i was wondering are you able to run vista RC1 as your primary os and would i be able to use it till i can buy media center again.

Yea you could run it as your primary OS, however it still needs some work so if you get crashes and all that goodies from M$, my best advice is to update your hardware drivers using an XP version. I found that my SATA driver using the default one that came install with Vista gave trouble when playing music, updated it to the XP version (which is easy if you have dual boot, because you can let Vista search XP partition for the driver) and all is well. However I still get some crashes and bug, can't blame them it's still RC. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom