[Vista] Inexplicable BSOD on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
Problem: After shutting down running completely fine last night, I go to boot up my computer this morning, and it gets all the way to the vista loading screen when it flashes a BSOD and reboots. I try again, and it prompts me to select safe mode or non safe mode (or all the other choices) because vista didnt shut down correctly. I choose Safe Mode With Networking, same problem happens, so I choose Safe Mode (regular), same problem. Right when it begins to boot, it flashes the BSOD and restarts.

When I say flashes, I mean it appears for probably half a second, I've tried to watch really closely, but for the life of me I can't see what the error is sadly.

Computer Specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz
ASUS P5Q/E Mobo
4gb OCZ Reaper RAM
2 HDDs, Master - Seagate 500gb, Slave - WD 1TB
NVidia GTS 250 Gfx
800W PSU

Solutions Tested:
Restart
checked all the BIOS settings
made sure computer was thoroughly dusted and being cooled properly
checked all connections

I am completely surprised by this, it was working perfectly fine last night and then this morning it wont even boot.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Phate

Just for precaution sake, have you tried booting with at least 1 stick of RAM (doubt it has anything to do with a memory issue, but just to eliminate it from the possible causes)?

I researched a way to get the BSOD to show, but it involves Registry editing, which I don't really recommend at this stage, since I'm gonna try to think of possible steps before we get there.

Last known good configuration doesn't work either

I'm a bit wary of opening my case and taking out the ram, do you really think it would be worthwhile? This doesn't strike me as a memory issue, but if you think it should definetly be checked out, I'll try it.

Edit: also, it would be pretty hard for me to access the registry editor at this stage, since I can't even get vista to boot up in any mode.

Also, I should note, I don't have the vista installation disk, so hopefully reinstalling vista would be the last possible scenario

no, its custom built, I am just worried because my CPU Heatsink/Fan assembly is large, and it has those just totally shoddy plastic push-pins, and it took me probably 3 hours of fiddling to get them seated, I'd hate to bump them and have to start over.

I was able to disable automatic restart so I could read the BSOD, here is the technical info:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8436F6AF, 0x80599A40, 0x8059973C)

I'll research it and see what I come up with. By the way how you got the pc not to restart if you didn't reach Windows?

Edit: After all my searches, it says "STOP: 0x0000007E" is some kind of hardware/driver issue. Any other info the BSOD referred to? Like any specific file?

I solved it, thanks everyone for your help.

By the way, I got it to not automatically restart by entering the 'F8' menu when it told me to select startup options, one was "Disable Automatic Restart".

I solved it, thanks everyone for your help.

By the way, I got it to not automatically restart by entering the 'F8' menu when it told me to select startup options, one was "Disable Automatic Restart".
Oh right...that completely slipped my mind :wtf:. Glad you got through and glad we can help :). May I ask though, what exactly was the solution to the problem? Just in case anyone else has this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom