Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2 error:"This installation package could not be opened.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_wizard

In Runtime
I recently downloaded the PC game Sacred 2 via direct2drive - and when executing the Sacred 2 Installer .exe it gives me the error, "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." (I've attached an image of the error to this post) I've downloaded this thing multiple times to make sure the download wasn't corrupted. I have full administrative rights on this OS with the UAC disabled. I've tried running it in compatibility mode, I've tried searching for a download for Windows Installer to reinstall, and I've tried creating an alternate Administrative Profile on this computer and installing it - no dice. I've also scanned for any possible viruses. I'm at wits end. Paid $40 for the game and can't even play it. Any advice, suggestions, or a solution would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,348
Re: Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2 error:"This installation package could not be opene

Your best bet might be to try their forums.

The only thing i can think of is that this may be one of the few apps that require UAC to be on. they are rare but i have seen them.

Do you have the SP installed?

Re: Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2 error:"This installation package could not be opene

Do you have the SP installed?

Only thing that comes to mind when you say that is Service Pack, and right now I have version 2.

Yes i mean SP and you say you have SP2 installed. Could be that the installer is not compatible with Vista SP2 and you need a patch to be applied for it to work. Best answer will come from them. It is their software so they should know how to get it working.

The only answer from the searches i got were to redownload the installer, which you said you did. Then to make sure the system was up to date.

I see the date on the installer is from last year. So it could be that it is not compatible with Vista SP2 at this point. Since that was just released.

No patches available for SP2. I'll try posting in their forums and see what I come up with.

I don't know how Direct2drive works, but does it download the complete game, or does it download a download installer (like WoW's installer.)?

EDIT : I ask this because the setup installer (that you have) is only 124MB and the download from D2D is 12.4GB.

Also, try disabling your A/V if that is the filesize you're suppose to have.

I see a file called setup in that directory. Have you tried it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom