vista home basic vs premium???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
What's the difference between them?

After looking at the windows site:
Compare Editions

it doesn't seem like it's much of a difference besides some pre-loaded software.

"Elegant Windows Aero desktop experience
with glass-like menu bars, Windows Flip 3D, and Live Thumbnails" looks to be the only major thing---what is this anyway? I'm new to vista.

Aero is the glass like effect, Flip 3d is sort of the Mac thing, that like makes all the tasks open look like a Rolodex, and when you Alt Tab, you see live Thumbnails on the Alt Tab animation

Home Premium also comes with Media Center

can you download anything that's just for home premium and use it on the basic?

I'm not sure, but I know the differences are;

32bit versions

Due to the limited addressing space, 32bit versions can only support up to 4GB of RAM.

64bit versions
Because of the extra 32bits, 64bit versions are able to support much more RAM. See below;
128GB: Ultimate, Enterprise, Business SKUs
16GB: Home Premium
8GB: Home Basic

I'm not sure, but I know the differences are;

32bit versions

Due to the limited addressing space, 32bit versions can only support up to 4GB of RAM.

64bit versions
Because of the extra 32bits, 64bit versions are able to support much more RAM. See below;
128GB: Ultimate, Enterprise, Business SKUs
16GB: Home Premium
8GB: Home Basic

oooohh forgot those ones

To use a 64-bit operating system, you'll need 64-bit drivers for all your hardware. Make sure they're available before you buy and install the 64-bit version.

I'm not asking the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit. I want to know the main differences between home basic and home premium vista

Well we sorta already told you that. It's the extras like Aero interface, live thumbs, and media center built in. Home Basic interface looks similar to Windows XP, very plain and nothing at all fancy. That's why they call it Basic. You don't get any of that extra Vista stuff that makes it more interesting.

I don't think Home Basic comes in 64 bit, though. Just Premium and up I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom