Vista help laptop keeps dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
Need help with a friends laptop its a Sony vaio VGN-NR38E don't think its a hardware based problem though. When he logins in his user login welcome screen appears blank except for the cursor which cannot be moved. I can get into safe mode but he did not make recovery backups. Through safe mode I set the msconfig to windows only processes. That allowed us to login to the standard user in the normal user environment then after around 5-10 mins later the bsod comes up. I haven't yet had the chance to right down the error code will do as soon as it says it again. It does say physical memory dump so I am guessing its the ram going to do a ram check for 2 hours in a few minutes.

Yea check that dump. Also in the start line type reliability and performance, then click R&P monitor. At that point go to the reliability monitor and see what errors have occured over the course of the past few months. That should definately point you in the direction of what the error is.

If you want you can also create a log file to monitor the memory to see if that is actually causing the crashes.

It will dump the RAM on most BSOD errors. Without the stop code there is no way we can help other than say try to create a new user profile.

Vista also provides a memory checking tool within the OS, you can use that tool to cehck the integrity of the memory.

R&P has been turned off so have no data from it already checked. Yeah I know was just hoping you could guess given the original symptoms there is no BSOD when it boots up normally and goes to the frozen black login screen just when I put into diagnostic boot after going into safe mode. My friend is currently trying to take a pic of the scratched linux cd saying;

"Kernel panic-not syncing attempted to kill init" like a chav

Turned off...? Seriously? Then start a new log and turn the performance monitor on, then check both once the computer crashes again.

this probably doesn't help but....

you should just re-install :)
reinstall works wonders..(for me personally) speeds everything backup

Yeah same, but he hasn't kept his work seperate however he said he used a norton imaging softwarerecently to take a drive image.

nvm opted to just reinstall his head on the line and he says he doesn't care just wants it fixed and fast again

Bug Check Codes

Take a look at that list. That is just about every stop error possible and the symptoms. There is no way to just guess at why a PC is BSOD'ing. Can be from anything. From RAM to bad spot on the hard drive and everything in between.

It is never good to guess at why a PC is acting the way it is. that will lead you to more trouble than it is worth.

This was the error last time I saw it and put against your guide:

The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M bug check has a value of 0x1000007E. This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom