Vista Firewalls and Anti-Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalOwns

In Runtime
I'll be building my computer tomorrow if the stuff comes and I need to know what security software I can use, since not everything is compatible yet. I currently am using TrendMicro antivirus and the Zonealarm firewall on XP. I would like to stick with both of those, but as far as I know, neither of them are compatible yet.

So what's the best security software for vista right now?

TrendMicro only has their security suite that works on Vista. It sucks. Better off with Avast, AVG or the Eset Smart Security IMO.

Zone Alarm has released their firewall, version 7.2 i believe that is Vista compatable. But when testing the Beta i noticed some lag in net activity. So you know that could happen.

The Eset Smart Secuirty Beta has been the best AV/Firewall combo i have used in Vista in the last 6 months. That is my suggestion. But Avast & Zone Alarm is another good combo.

I don't think it is worth using a firewall on Vista, cause it already has one, however, an antivirus is certainly needed.

XP Has a firewall too but dont you use one on that? The Vista firewall blocks incoming traffic by default but does NOT block outgoing. Even the incoming traffic can get around Vista's firewall as it is not that great. Using a Zone Alarm firewall is much more secure than just using Vista's stand alone.

While M$ has made great steps in improving the firewall. It is no where enar ready to stand alone and try to block anything. Plus with the fact it doesnt block outgoing you can get infected and still transmit and have your system get compromised.

Is there any firewalls that are compatible with Vista 64? I really don't trust microsofts and I know for now that zone alarm is only campatible with vista 32.

vistas firewall should be sufficient IMO, you can configure it to block outgoing, and there is an option to block all incoming connections, this way you can still browse online and do most things except online gaming so you'll have to uncheck that option for online gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom