The Vista Death Watch - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #41 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar
 
Ste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upon Gleaning Infinity
Posts: 9,577
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I wouldn't touch vista with a 10 foot pole at least until Service pack 1 OR 2. Just as I did with XP.
__________________

Ste is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
krazy Techie
 
krazyq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,059
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

well why wait?
sp1 is just going to be a rollup update...so theyre pretty much giving out the bits and pieces of it now.
__________________

__________________
Intel Core i5-4670K
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 2TB + 1TB WD Black
Samsung Note 8
2TB White PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch & New 3DS XL
65" LG OLED C7P
BenQ 27" XL2720Z
krazyq is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #43 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

xp with Winstep (which has a mac/vista look but doesn't use all of vista's resources) is far superior than vista.
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #44 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar
 
Ste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upon Gleaning Infinity
Posts: 9,577
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyq View Post
well why wait?
sp1 is just going to be a rollup update...so theyre pretty much giving out the bits and pieces of it now.
Wait to suffer less.
Ste is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #45 (permalink)
krazy Techie
 
krazyq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,059
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste View Post
Wait to suffer less.
Well...you gotta be updated if you wanna stay uptodate with the technology.

I know its a little buggy right now, but its worth it.
Im not gonna bash on xp or vista.
Xp was great...but i have a dx10 card and want to see dx10 gfx
__________________
Intel Core i5-4670K
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 2TB + 1TB WD Black
Samsung Note 8
2TB White PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch & New 3DS XL
65" LG OLED C7P
BenQ 27" XL2720Z
krazyq is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #46 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_uk View Post
Apokalipse im just saying if vista works on one pc, then why is it vista's fault if it doesnt work as well on another?
Because Microsoft should have made it able to run on more configurations.

Such as low spec systems, systems with hardware that currently doesn't work (either because of drivers, or because Microsoft changed the way the OS works and no-longer supports it)

Microsoft could have given manufacturers of hardware the use of Vista, in order to make drivers for it before it even comes out

the ability to use unsigned drivers is really not a bad thing. It causes more problems than it solves. I'd much prefer to actually be able to use a piece of hardware that I paid for, than to remove a very small risk of getting a driver that might not be completely stable.

Microsoft removed DirectSound, so X-Fi's were not able to work in Vista for a while until Creative made a program which converts directSound calls to OpenAL. Which works, but is not ideal.

Also, why should I move to a new piece of software that slows down my system, when XP does what I want without the slowdown of Vista?
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyq View Post
Well...you gotta be updated if you wanna stay uptodate with the technology.

I know its a little buggy right now, but its worth it.
Im not gonna bash on xp or vista.
Xp was great...but i have a dx10 card and want to see dx10 gfx
Which should work on XP, but won't. simply because Microsoft doesn't want it to.
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #47 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 358
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

HEY GUYS CHECK THIS OUT!!!!:

I can boot windows 95 on my machine in less than 5 seconds.. oh wait, I can boot MS-DOS in 2 seconds, I guess Windows 95 is the best windows ever because it's FAAAAST. All you fanboys that like XP, well that's just Windows 95 with more bling bling. The faster OS wins, right?? Oh wait...
That's what you guys are implying to me from this post.
__________________

Intel Core i7-860
ASUS P7P55D
XFX HD-5870
G-Skill 4GB DDR3
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Silencer 750W
Antec Twelve Hundred
Windows 7 Ultimate
cnico88 is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar
 
Ste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upon Gleaning Infinity
Posts: 9,577
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

Im going to say this once, there are better drugs than glue...
Ste is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 PM   #49 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,280
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

I have much experience with Vista and used it for a long while. While I love Vista as an OS and I like the interface, I still choose to use XP for various reasons. XP is much faster on about any machine today than is Vista. It also runs games flawlessly which Vista does not. What prompted me to go back to XP initially was the inability to get Half Life 2 Episode 2 to work correctly on Vista.

For those who mention cutting backwards compatability, thats exactly what MS should NOT do. The biggest problem with Vista in the eyes of the average consumer is that even it does not have enough backwards compatability. Believe it or not, many businesses are still running programs from the MS-DOS era and Vista just does not work for them. What really needs to be done though is a transition from 32-bit to 64-bit. Its appalling that pretty much all retail PCs today carry the 32-bit version of Vista. I understand having a 32-bit version for those with older computers, but the 64-bit should be the main and marketted version. Last I read, intent was to keep Windows 7 as 32-bit as well, which I dont see happening as average RAM will be above the 3.2GB barrier by the time the Vista era ends. Also, the Home and Pro versions of XP worked real well....we don't need 6 different versions.

As for me, I look forward to a time when I can use Vista and get the same productivity as I get on XP. OS upgrades should provide greater functionality, not take it away.
beedubaya is offline  
Old 11-06-2007, 12:16 AM   #50 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: The Vista Death Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnico88 View Post
HEY GUYS CHECK THIS OUT!!!!:

I can boot windows 95 on my machine in less than 5 seconds.. oh wait, I can boot MS-DOS in 2 seconds, I guess Windows 95 is the best windows ever because it's FAAAAST. All you fanboys that like XP, well that's just Windows 95 with more bling bling. The faster OS wins, right?? Oh wait...
That's what you guys are implying to me from this post.
Not only is XP faster, but it also runs more programs than Vista.

The only thing is, Microsoft refuses to make DirectX 10 for XP, even though XP is very capable of running it.


But in fact, your point does actually apply more than you'd think.
You could run a DOS machine for automated tasks in a factory, and it'd be more than capable. Even today. You don't need Vista, a heavy GUI and DirectX 10 to run some scripts.

In fact, DOS machines are used in a lot of manufacturing plants.
__________________

__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Beta Osiris Microsoft Windows and Software 0 10-14-2007 11:57 AM
HELP!!! Vista - Blue Screen of Death david15549 Microsoft Windows and Software 0 09-11-2007 04:16 PM
10 Reasons You Don't Need Vista Today Cyber.Logan New Systems | Building and Buying 47 08-15-2007 05:31 PM
Linux and Vista dual-boot Mike9182 Linux and Open Source 1 06-26-2007 07:53 PM
Is Vista Full of Bugs ? NayNay1991x Microsoft Windows and Software 14 05-29-2007 07:40 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.