Vista/Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane84722

In Runtime
I just reinstalled vista, I like to do this every now and then. The problem is, once vista starts and gets to the desktop, after about 2-5 min, it completly freezes and I must do a hard restart. After the restart, the computer is fine except some settings such as my speaker settings, for example, is reset to 2.1 from 5.1. This happens almost every time I start the computer after it has been off for awhile. This problem also existed several other reinstalls as well.

Another problem I also have, which only happens occasionaly is when I turn on the computer, the fans turn on, lights, etc... but it does not boot, I don't even see the bios boot screen/logo. I must restart the computer and/or turn it off one or more times before it starts normally.

Any help will be useful, thanks.

I just reinstalled vista, I like to do this every now and then. The problem is, once vista starts and gets to the desktop, after about 2-5 min, it completly freezes and I must do a hard restart. After the restart, the computer is fine except some settings such as my speaker settings, for example, is reset to 2.1 from 5.1. This happens almost every time I start the computer after it has been off for awhile. This problem also existed several other reinstalls as well.

how old is your motherboard? could be the battery is dying.. you may just need to replace the motherboard..

what service pack does your Vista copy have? you should update to all the latest drivers and patches..

Another problem I also have, which only happens occasionaly is when I turn on the computer, the fans turn on, lights, etc... but it does not boot, I don't even see the bios boot screen/logo. I must restart the computer and/or turn it off one or more times before it starts normally.

again the mother board could be the culpret, I have this problem now with my main machine. a cold boot is fine.. but if I have to do a hard restart.. i have to turn my psu off for 30 seconds and then reboot.. or I get what you have, no comunication between the GPU and the Motherboard. unless it's a cold start.

The motherboard isnt very old, not even 6 months. I've had no problems with it.

Vista Ultimate, SP2, updated completly.

Did you use the Vista DVD to format the drive before you reinstalled?

Yeah that is a quick format. It is junk. You should use GParted to format the drive properly first then install Vista.

Ahh.. well my MB has been doing it since day 1.. so not so much age with it not liking a hard boot..

I always use the advanced drive options and delete the partition then format it for install (quickest way to make your drive clean) doing a long format for 1TB would take all day.. but just a quick format isn't always good.. thats why I do the delete and then quick format. (turns anything on it to raw unusable data)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom