Vista Compared To 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, Vista isn't bad, UAC was probably the one thing they should have rethought. And even that can be configured to not be annoying.

If you are thinking about what OS to purchase, get windows 7. Why would you purchase an old OS?

Yeah those are some way to open ended questions. Vista was rushed. It was pushed out before it was ready. The code in it was lacking in just about everything. I used it and i loved it. But that was not always the case. If you want to really know about it read the threads we have on both.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-vista-discussion-53448/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-7-faq-questions-172024/

They will tell you much more than we can sit here and explain in just a few sentences. Win7 is just better. It is better optimized, better coded, works better on more machines and so on. Read the topics. No way that this can be answered easily.

I don't know. I still prefer XP over either of them. It may not have been as secure, but when it came to useability and ease it was the best.

What is it that you prefer in XP? 7 is very much like XP, just a ton of more features. I'm sure most of what you want is just changed or altered.

I never had a problem with Vista. I think the biggest problem with Vista was with the hardware configurations people were trying to use (and big manufacturers were trying to sell). Vista had all these fancy new visuals and people were trying to use them with outdated and/or underpowered components.

I could go on but I won't.

What is it that you prefer in XP? 7 is very much like XP, just a ton of more features. I'm sure most of what you want is just changed or altered.

Well, just today I wanted to open more than ONE file at the same time by selecting multiple files and hitting enter. Windows 7 wouldn't let me do that. I know that xp would have let me do that. I had to find a workaround by dragging and dropping those multiple files into the application itself.

I don't like that when you right click on an item in the task bar, it displays the jump list. I cannot use any keyboard shortcuts. I used to be able to right click on a task bar item, and hit c on my keyboard to instantly close an app. Now I have to rely on a third party script to do that.

And many similar things like these. It's an improvement on vista, sure. But as far as useability goes, it's got to be XP for me. Maybe I need time with 7 to get used to it, but then.. is it really superior to XP if time is needed to get used to it.

Sorry but that is not normal. I would look at your setup over the OS for that one.

I can open multiple files. I can do it multiple ways. Ctrl + select a file, drag and select multiple files with my mouse and using the Shift Key to select them. Then either hitting enter to open them, or right clicking and selecting Open from the Context menu. All which could be done in XP and is still done the same in Vista/Win7.

You can use Keyboard shortcuts. But now it take just 1 extra button press. You right click on an item, hit C to select Close and then Enter to close the item. 1 extra button press, no 3rd party scripts needed. You basically have a 3rd party app that will hit Enter for you. Considering that it is about 1 centimeter from the item to the Close Window option when you right click, why is it necessary to use Keyboard Shortcuts when it would be just as efficient to move the mouse that small area and click Close Window. You could just disable them completely and go right back to the old way as well.

Win7 is superior in every way to XP. Usability, Security, Coding, Networking, and everything else. XP is a decade old and everything has changed in that time on how operations can be done. With just a few minor adjustments to how you do things, you could easily find Win7 to be better than XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom