Vista BSoD Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrob65

Beta member
Okay, so I have a Dell (puts on flameproof suit). I use McAfee as my AV and the other day a little window pops up telling me that I have to restart because it just updated itself and whatnot. Another screen popped up from Windows Update telling me to do the same, so I did it. I restarted the computer and when it started back up, I logged on and almost instantly got the BSoD. However, it was flashing/bugging out so I couldn't read what it said. Then when I re-restarted it, I started it in Safe Mode w/ Networking and before I got to the log on screen it started doing a Disk Check but instantly said it was cancelled. So I called up Dell and after about an hour they told me that I need to re-install my OS.

Before I do this, is there anything I can do to fix this? I tried turning off auto-restarting, but that didn't work either. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? If so, check your event logs (Start > run > type "eventviewer.msc" without the quotes). Go to the 'System' section on the left, and check for any thing like "dump log" in the description, or anything that sounds like an error description, and check to see if that's the BSOD. If it is, give us the error code, and possibly look to see if you have any minidump files (usually in C:\Windows\Minidump).

I found this:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8b7a8725, 0x934e6678, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

Also, I have a window up that is the error reporting window, which gives me this info:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 8B93A725
BCP3: 9454E678
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Hello,

Do a system restore. This was caused by either the update from McAfee or the Windows Update. After you do teh system restore only apply 1 update at a time to see which it was.

If you have restore points you are good to go. Sadly if not. Then you will be forced to reinstall.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks for the help. I just uninstalled McAfee in the hopes that that would work, but alas, no.

I checked to see if I had any system restore points, and I don't. I could have sworn that I had made one at least, but no. Oh well, I've been meaning to invest in an external HD for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom