Vista AUDIO issue (crackles & skips) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Vista AUDIO issue (crackles & skips)

Im fairly good with figuring out PC problems on my own BUT this one has me thinkin..."thats vista!"

*BACKGRND info *
Not one issue when I had soon as I switched to VISTA, I noticed something strange!

Dell inspiron 9400-DualCore 1.7ghz, 1 GB ram, 80GB HD
AUDIO: SigmaTel HighDefinition Audio Codec (latest)

*THE PROBLEMO*: The AUDIO does this SUPER annoying skip & crackle 4 times in a row, lasting for about 3 seconds, occuring every 30secs-1min, some times not as bad, occurring every few mins (mp3s, games, dvds...but most noticable when playing mp3s, due to the 'constant audio')

a few notes:

-NOT a resource issue
(cpu usage floating around 5%, not running any other programs, not spyware, clean as a bell!)
-NOT a hardware issue (new laptop, flawless with XP)
-The #1 suspect: VISTA (even after droping back to vista basic, still no improvment!)

This is really the only thing wrong with vista anymore...and its a BIG one. I listen to music skipping/crackling audio every minute is a big deal!

I thought that I could live with it, but now I'm considering going through the hassle (3Hours+) to put XP back on, and reinstall everything...GOD!

?! Please tell me they are coming out with a fix soon, or is a situation of "it must just be you...sorry" BS?!

ANYONE else have this issue?
Anyone read of a fix?
Anyone hate vista too?
Is there still hope...?

Old 05-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Vista AUDIO issue (crackles & skips)

Sorry had to do it. But this isnt Vista. This is the device manufactorers not doing what they should have since Nov when Vista was final. That is create the proper drivers. None of them have and now that everyone is jumping to Vista and having issues right away they blame Vista.

You have to find out the maker of the Audio device. I am guessing it is onboard. The Codec is nice but it doesnt help much. Either that or try a later version of the Codec not the latest. See if that works.

I have used Vista flawlessly for over 6 months now. I had driver issues myself but i got around them.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

try to manually install the driver. vista had issues installing realtek drivers, but if you did a manual install with the exact same driver it would work

the driver would not work right if vista automatically install it or you install it through device manager
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ill try it...thanks dudes

research wtc7
Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to xparkesx

i'm having the same problem. watched my CPU today and it was fine. installed the newest creative live 24 bit driver with the same problem.

lemme know if you find out anything.
Closed Thread