Vista applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
Can someone explain to me the difference within Vista of Remote Desktop Connection versus Windows Remote Assistant.

Are they two different interfaces to get the same result?

Remote assistance

Remote desktop

Remote Assistance in Windows Vista uses some of the same underlying technology as Remote Desktop Connection, a program that allows you to connect to your computerfrom a remote location and use it as if you were sitting right it front of it.

Some of the key differences that set apart these programs:

1) In a Remote Assistance session, both users must be present at their respective computers and must agree to establish the connection Remote Desktop Connection can be initiated from one computer without the assent of someone at the remote target computer.

2) With Remote Assistance, you can connect to a computer running any edition of Windows Vista. The target computer for a Remote Desktop Connection session must be running the Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate edition (You can initiate the connection from any Windows Vista edition. You can even initiate the connection from a web browser, which is not possible with Remote Assistance )

3) Remote Assistance provides a shared view into an existing session (that is, the users at each end see the same screen and can share control), whereas Remote Desktop Connection starts a new session on the remote computer. The remote session takes over completely, and the local user loses interactive access, seeing instead a logon screen with a label indicating the user account that is logged on from a remote location

4) In a Remote Assistance session, the remote user has the same rights and privileges as the local user With Remote Desktop Connection, remote users can do whatever their account credentials allow them to do.

5) Remote Assistance connections can be established over the internet, even when each computer is behind a different router that uses NAT. With Remote Desktop Connection, the target computer must be on the same network (including a virtual private network, or VPN) and it cannot be behind a NAT router.

These two programs, of course, are intended to serve very different needs But their similarities
sometimes make it possible to use one in place of the other.

Very nice. Thanks Hef! So essentially Remote Assistance is a bit more 'beefed up' in comparison to remote desktop connection. I know with Remote Assistance you can initiate a connection a few different ways.

Thanks for the assistance. I may have to use this same thread to ask a few other questions. I've read a few books, but most really really really skirt details about the applications...

Basically If I am managing another computer generally a server or connecting to my home computer I use remote desktop. If I am helping a customer with a problem I will use Remote assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom