Vista activation problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr Beans Sidekick

Send a message via MSN to Max Power
Default Vista activation problem

Well ive been using Vista since it came out and bought the upgrade version. Origonal I just upgraded from my xp installation but with my new PC I just did the thing where you install vista upgrade then upgrade from that. It was working fine for awhile but today when I turned on my PC its locked and I need to activate it and it wont take my upgrade license key so i figured I was screwed so I tried to reinstall vista and start over but now it wont boot from my vista dvd. When i try to boot from the dvd it just starts up my vista installation.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Vista activation problem

That is cause you bypassed the upgrade by the steps you took. The Serial you ahve is for a upgrade version but the isntall thinks it is a fresh full version. So you kinda screwed yourself on that one.

TBH i dont know what can be done to sort this. Try to call M$ and see if they can help you and give you the code needed to activate Vista again.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

that upgrade trick to get it to install fresh should work. I think the problem is that he already activated it on another pc . the new pc fails the activation for this reason.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
bought the upgrade version
That is why the activation failed. You cant buy a upgrade version and do a fresh install and think that the serial will pass for activation. They use totally different sets of serials for Full copies than they do upgrade copies. So using a Upgrade serial for a fresh install will cause this to happen.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

As implied above, call the M$ support in India. Don't accept "no" as an answer, and get your OS activated. They'll say you have to buy a new copy, but do not accept that... they will give in.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
As implied above, call the M$ support in India. Don't accept "no" as an answer, and get your OS activated. They'll say you have to buy a new copy, but do not accept that... they will give in.
what their number?

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It should be on the license info somewhere, or when Vista wants to be activated, it will provide a 800 number for you to "activate by phone". I found lots of numbers on Google, but no one specific number to be sure of, so...yeah, one of those two options would be best.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr Beans Sidekick

Send a message via MSN to Max Power

ya i called them before and i had to say 9 sets of numbers to a machine and it didnt work so they were going to put me onto a actual person but i didnt want to deal with it but I will try and get them to activate it tomoro
Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
That is cause you bypassed the upgrade by the steps you took. The Serial you ahve is for a upgrade version but the isntall thinks it is a fresh full version. So you kinda screwed yourself on that one.

TBH i dont know what can be done to sort this. Try to call M$ and see if they can help you and give you the code needed to activate Vista again.
This is incorrect. You can cleanly install Windows Vista from an Vista Upgrade disc and have it activated using the Vista upgrade product key, so long as you follow the procedure correctly.

The procedure is to perform a clean install of Vista using the upgrade disc by skipping the product key entry phase and deselecting 'Automatically activate Windows when I'm online'. Once installed, the unactivated OS will functional for 30 days. Before this expires, the user must then perform a Vista upgrade on the currently installed Windows Vista, from which the user can enter in the upgrade product key and activate Windows Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I just did the thing where you install vista upgrade then upgrade from that
As Max Power stated, he did this procedure (a clean install then an upgrade). If performed correctly, and you entered in the upgrade product key correctly in upgrade procedure, then it should have worked.

Ensure that you have followed the steps outlined here by Paul Thurrott:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin.C View Post
This is incorrect. You can cleanly install Windows Vista from an Vista Upgrade disc and have it activated using the Vista upgrade product key, so long as you follow the procedure correctly.

The procedure is to perform a clean install of Vista using the upgrade disc by skipping the product key entry phase and deselecting 'Automatically activate Windows when I'm online'. Once installed, the unactivated OS will functional for 30 days. Before this expires, the user must then perform a Vista upgrade on the currently installed Windows Vista, from which the user can enter in the upgrade product key and activate Windows Vista.
Okay first off that is assuming that the person didnt install Vista Ultiamte to begin with so there would be no chance to UPGRADE. If they already install Ultimate then how can you upgrade if you already have the best?

Also you are taking Paul Thurott's advice. He has been wrong more times than right when it comes to Vista and its working. So i would take his "procedure" with a grain of salt. I am not saying it can not be done. But Paul never mentions that you cant isntall Ultimate first does he? If you install Ultimate and then try to upgrade what will happen? Nothing.

Closed Thread