Vista 64 bit Vs 32 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
Why would you choose a 64 bit os over a 32 bit os, surely they both done the exact same job but one uses more cpu power. What is the difference between the two and what is the point of going for a 64 bit os?

on running cpuid it said that I had 2 x 32 Kbytes, and in the cache it said that i had 64 byte line size so does this mean that I have a 64 bit enable pc?

No it does not. All that means is you have 64KB of L1 Cache memory. Tell me your processor and I'll tell you if it is 64-Bit capable.

The real question today is why would anyone choose 32bit over 64bit. 64bit advantages far outshine the disadvantages from choosing it over 32bit.

Because a 32-Bit processor only has one option.

As well as a 32-Bit system still being more flexible than a 64-Bit. There are still applications that only work on 32-Bit such as Cisco's non-SSL VPN Client.

But the 64-Bit advantages do outweigh the disadvantages greatly as you said.

No it does not. All that means is you have 64KB of L1 Cache memory. Tell me your processor and I'll tell you if it is 64-Bit capable.

I have a pentium dual core e2200 cpu and I just looked on the box and it said intel 64 architecture for 64 bit computing so i suppose that means that it will accept 64 bit computing.

If I was to use vista 64 bit would it use up much more cpu or would it just use more ram?

It would just use more RAM. The CPU can be fully utilized by either 32 Bit or 64 Bit OS's it is jsut 64 Bit OS's can go beyuond the 3GB or so barrier it seems to hit with today's Video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom