vista 64-32bit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagekitsune

Baseband Member
so i get a laptop for school and didnt notice that it had vista home premium 64bit edition so naturally 75% of my programs dont work with it. my question is i have the ultimate version of the software and i know it supports both 32 and 64bit you just have to pick the one u want. so if i would upgrade to the ultimate version can i choose it to go back to 32 bit version? or do i have to start a clean install? its going to be a nightmare if i have to id have to search for the drivers for the laptop.

Laptop: HP TX2 touch smart laptop

Honestly i have never seen this asked before. So i dont know as i have seen people upgrade from Vista 32 Bit to Windows 7 64 Bit. But i do not know for a fact that you could "upgrade" from Home Premium 64 BIt to Ultimate 32 Bit.

I wouldnt really consider it a upgrade either as 32 Bit really isnt a upgrade over 64 Bit. You would just be getting Ultimate which really isnt worth it in my honest opinion.

Have you checked online for version of your software that can run on 64 Bit?

Here are two options I think are possible for you.

1: Obtain a 32bit version of your current OS and install that with the 64bit cdkey, it should install and activate just fine, then upgrade to ultimate 32 or which ever you was talking about.

2: Buy the ultimate 32bit version for w/e it costs now and do a complete clean install.

Either way you will need to do a clean install to go 32bit, but option one is the cheapest IMO.

Honestly i have never seen this asked before. So i dont know as i have seen people upgrade from Vista 32 Bit to Windows 7 64 Bit. But i do not know for a fact that you could "upgrade" from Home Premium 64 BIt to Ultimate 32 Bit.

I wouldnt really consider it a upgrade either as 32 Bit really isnt a upgrade over 64 Bit. You would just be getting Ultimate which really isnt worth it in my honest opinion.

Have you checked online for version of your software that can run on 64 Bit?

yea i have, unfortunately most if not all the programs i use dont work under the 64bit environment ive looked for 64bit update versions but their non existent. some will install for example ti-smartview but it will always ask me to log on as an administrator to finish the install and im already running it under administrator mode.

Vista has a hidden Admin account that is disabled by default. Your best solution will then to be get the 32 Bit version of the Vista of your choice and reinstall. The PC Manufacturer should have the drivers listed on the site for your PC.

That is most likely the best solution for you as the software developers have neglected 64 bit for the software you use.

I've enabled the hidden account to attempt to get the program to work (note you need to use this command on the command prompt also running cmd with run as admin: net user administrator /active:yes ((no to disable)) but its not recomended to leave it on which i promptly disabled after a failed attempt to get the program to finish the install. though i may just try a dual boot with the 32 bit version. thanks for the help guys

I believe you can't go from 64 -> 32 bit

doesn't matter if it was an "upgrade"

the codes are just written differently :p

I believe you can't go from 64 -> 32 bit

doesn't matter if it was an "upgrade"

the codes are just written differently :p

YOu're right, you can't do an "upgrade" from 64 to 32, or vice versa. You can however use the same key for the other version (as long as you go from Home Premium to Home Premium, or Ultimate to Ultimate, etc).

YOu're right, you can't do an "upgrade" from 64 to 32, or vice versa. You can however use the same key for the other version (as long as you go from Home Premium to Home Premium, or Ultimate to Ultimate, etc).

Exactly, fresh installs only, trying to install 64 in a 32 bit environment will tell you to install from the boot, never tried to install 32bit in a 64 envirionment, my guess is it would be just like the opposite.

Guys he istn trying to install a 64 Bit in 32 Bit enviroment. He is trying to use the Anytime Upgrade to go from Vista Home Premium 64 Bit to Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Now i have seen where people have gone from Vista 32 Bit to Windows 7 64 Bit. So there is a way to do a upgrade. I just dont think it is possible thru the Anytime Upgrade cause that only installs the missing pieces of the OS. It wouldnt reinstall the OS.

So the answer is to do a fresh install. But for reason that are not strictly the 32 Bit vs 64 Bit. As it is clearly seen that you can do it if you upgrade the Whole OS not jsut a single aspect of it. Which the Anytime Upgrade is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom