Vista 5112 Watermark Branding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I am now running Vista 5112.

I am in the process of hacking and tweaking it. The thing I can't stand that sticks out more than anything is the watermark. This is how I removed it:

First go to c:\windows\system32

Look for Win32k.sys, copy and paste it to your desktop for a backup just incase you mess it up.

Now do the following:

Download Resource Hacker

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker

You just need to edit a few lines of code

Open RH

Open the Win32k.sys file

You will see message table, open it

You will then see folder 1, open it

Open this folder and you will see a resource name 1033, click it

You will now see a script

Scroll down to 210-215

Hightlight lines 210 through 215

Hit the backspace key once

There should now be a blank space between line 209 and and line 216

Now click Compile

and save the .sys file to windows 32 folder

and reboot

Thats it

The only drawback to this which is basically minor, is it will change the appearance of your desktop. The wallpaper wont stretch across like its supposed, looks like a camera view. But if you download a new wallpaper, its fine.

Also be carful as this might adversly effect you Glass effects. You can use TweakVista 0.60 to restart the DWM. But as for the rest you are correct. You need and exact fit wallpaper. I have also known a few people to get some major error with this. They had to format and reinstall. Also i believe you have to add yourself the the Trusted installer group to be able to edit or change the win32.sys file. I know in build 5219 (Pre-Beta 2) this is not a factor since the DWM is not a part of the win32.sys file anymore. You can just do a registry hack as i did.

MSDN

It now looks like a regular copy instead of eval.

Iadded myself then the buitin trusted, and I still couldnt add the .sys file. I went into safemode and it went fine.

Warez Monster said:
MSDN

It now looks like a regular copy instead of eval.

Iadded myself then the buitin trusted, and I still couldnt add the .sys file. I went into safemode and it went fine.
Well i know that after you add yourself you have to restart the PC before you can actually edit the files.
Also i would like to correct myself. I havent removed the watermark in build 5219. I registry hacked the DWM. I got the Glass effects with no blur with using the most current drivers. I havent hunted for the watermark yet.
I have also gotten my hands on the Windows Sidebar that was released at PDC. I also got my hands on the hacks "Curved Sidebar". The only problems i see with the Windows Sidebar is that 1. you only get 4 Gadgets to use and 2. It cuts off about an inch of your screen as no windows will overlap it. It is always visable.

None of the links i have are active anymore. I dont know if the 5219 sidebar will work in 5112. I have heard that it does but i have never tested it myself.

Anyone else have a problem with the copy function in Vista? I cant copy and paste nothing.

Win2kpatcher said:
Vista is out already? Where you all buy it at?
Um no you can get it from MSDN only at the current time (check stickied thread).

Warez no it will not work the trick you gave me only produced an empty sidebar that is transparent. It's useless without all the features. Don't even bother it gave me so much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom