Vista 32 to windows 7 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeyondHatred

Solid State Member
Hello I was thinking about upgrading my windows vista 32-bit to a windows 7 64-bit so I can add more than 4GB of Ram. Would I be able to just get the upgrade version or would I have to buy the full version? Also I was wondering if I would have to reformat or not?

Yes, you'd have to reformat, as you can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit as far as I am aware. However I'm not sure on whether you could use an upgrade version of 7, I'll let someone else (Mak :p) answer that.

Hi,

You won't be able to perform an in place upgrade from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit (using upgrade media or a full retail version). Instead, you'll have to backup your files (either manually or using the Easy Transfer Wizard), perform a so called 'custom install' or clean install, then transfer your files back to Windows. You'd also need to re-install your programs.

Buy the upgrade version (since it's cheaper and your system qualifies for an upgrade).

While the installation process will format and re-install the operating system, in your case, don't format your hard drive beforehand for the sake of convenience (unless of course you need to or choose to). Leave your current installation of Windows on the hard drive. That way, activation will be transparent - Windows setup will automatically verify that your system qualifies for an upgrade by identifying previous Windows installations, and activate Windows for you. Once you've backed up you files, proceed with a custom install (either by launching it in the desktop, or booting into the disc). This process will be the same, regardless of whether you use an upgrade media or full retail version.

Microsoft's guide for performing a Windows 7 custom install is available here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7-custom .

You will have to pay for a full version and you can't upgrade any system from 32 bit to 64 bit. So formatting will be necessary as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom