Vista 32 bits with 4gb memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

janoloco

Baseband Member
i´m about to setup my new comp. i already bought 4 gb (1 x 4) pc2 6400 memory and i will install them on a vista ultimate 32 bits version.

i been reading about 32 bits xp and vista cannot handle 4gb of memory by defaults.

But it can be fixed with this:

Steps:

1) Access cmd: Click on the Start Pearl > type cmd in the Search Bar > and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter (this allows you to run cmd in administrative mode)

2) Type BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable

“BCDEdit is a boot configuration editor for the command line. Using the above command you've just enabled Physical Address Extension (PAE) which can address memory larger than 4 GB. ”

To undo, just type “BCDEdit /deletevalue PAE” , this will remove the added PAE settings.

Do you recommend doing this? or better installing 64 bits version?

I want to run Halo 2 pc, will this game run either on 32 bits or 64 bits version?

I'm pretty sure that the 64 bit editions can still run 32 bit (32 or 64 bit) apps, though my PC is only 32 bit XP and my parent's comp (Athlon64 X2 3800+) is on the 32 bit Vista, not the 64.

Yes Vista 64 can run 32 bit applications.

I recommend you go for the 64 bit version. It's slightly faster and you won't have problems addressing the memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom