Vista - $10 billion to make

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so sorry for Microsoft...(please note the sarcasm).

Besides, $10 billion is chump change, right? :p

King X13 said:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003460386_btview04.html

also talks about microsoft not be able to do what they wanted to do with the OS.
Anyone who didn't see this coming has to be blind, but you gotta give credit to MS for taking on such a monumental task. I mean, having all their departments completely redesign at the same time, produces a complex project that rivals D-day, the Moon race, and the American Revolution all in one...albiet impossible, but kudos for even trying!

:)

The aftermath of this has shown a few interesting things.

1. There's a lot of people at MS who have some great ideas after all...
2. Gigantic global corporations do eventually get the point...
3. It is still true that there are tons of people who only complain...

The total redesign of Windows was inevitable, and while they failed (anyone would...yeah, apple and linux too, get off your horse) the new version of Windows is at least a tad bit better. And this of course means that MS has had a full, in-the-face look at ALL of their problems now, and they're able to address them more accurately.

It's hard to see how Vista will do from the individual-user standpoint, but lets face it, MS hasn't been focused on the individual user in years. There's little money in it. Enterprise solutions are where the money is. Whatever appeases the corporate sector, will get the attention.

so what will happen to MS now? If the fact that this is the last Windows OS is true.

IBMan said:
so what will happen to MS now? If the fact that this is the last Windows OS is true.
Well I think the keyword there is last "WINDOWS" OS. If that bit of news is even true. Lord knows we've all seen stuff to this end before...

...Have some coffee...maybe a cold shower...take a few minutes...

Now come back over here...and tell me...that you honestly thought MS was going to just give up and close down after Vista...

Now smack yourself until your brain closes down...

:rolleyes:

What i find to be the craziest is how these microsoft programers are supposed to be the best of the best and who would know programing for microsoft more then them, yet it talks about how when the project was called long horn there are features that they were not able to program into the OS.

Also is think of how many people in the world use windows. at a cost of say 500 bucks for a nice round number, they would only need to sell 2 million copys to start turning a profit. so it kinda is junk change. cuz then only a hand full of people on long island would need to by it and they break even. take that into consideration and the profits are insane from xp.

ShoobieRat said:
Well I think the keyword there is last "WINDOWS" OS. If that bit of news is even true. Lord knows we've all seen stuff to this end before...

...Have some coffee...maybe a cold shower...take a few minutes...

Now come back over here...and tell me...that you honestly thought MS was going to just give up and close down after Vista...

Now smack yourself until your brain closes down...

:rolleyes:

i never said i thought MS would close down...i meant it like..what will be MS's BIG thing...the breadwinner of the family IF vista is the last windows os.

King X13 said:
What i find to be the craziest is how these microsoft programers are supposed to be the best of the best and who would know programing for microsoft more then them, yet it talks about how when the project was called long horn there are features that they were not able to program into the OS.
Just because you own the code, doesn't mean it can do everything you wish. Same is true for any application written. There's a limit to the capability of the existing code. At some point, you either have to admit the limits, or rewrite the entire thing. For a product as old and large as Windows, that's no easy task.

King X13 said:
Also is think of how many people in the world use windows. at a cost of say 500 bucks for a nice round number, they would only need to sell 2 million copys to start turning a profit. so it kinda is junk change. cuz then only a hand full of people on long island would need to by it and they break even. take that into consideration and the profits are insane from xp.
I've never paid $500 for a non-server version of Windows...but I'll not split hairs. MS doesn't really need to sell the OS at all to make profit, because it's going to be sold massively on all the EA's around this country and others. The consumer market (you and me) is mostly made up of OEM purchases and OS bundles. The amount of boxed copies of Windows sold is relatively small. The price is high for the boxed copy, but for obvious reasons.

ShoobieRat said:
split hairs. MS doesn't really need to sell the OS at all to make profit, because it's going to be sold massively on all the EA's around this country and others. The consumer market (you and me) is mostly made up of OEM purchases and OS bundles.

Exactly. I'd say at least 75% of computer users buy their comps prebuilt from places like Dell and HP where Windows is preinstalled. They don't even have the choice at to what OS they're going to use.
And the corporate market is where the real money's at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom