Virus, spyware and firewall protection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

socom234

Baseband Member
My norton is about to expire in a month and i dont have the money to continue the subscription will my computer be ok if i have Windows Firewall, AVG Virus protection free edition and microsoft spyware removal tool. Will it still be open to get viruses that will not be detected or anything like that. the last thing i need is a currupt harddrive.

Firewall: Download ZoneAlarm from www.download.com. It has a very simple interface, and it is top-notch protection (many internet protection suites use a version of ZoneAlarm).

Spyware: Download Spybot and AdAware from www.download.com. Be sure to 'immunize' with Spybot. Update them weeekly, and scan with both weekly. Also, switch to Firefox if you haven't already, as I seem to get next to no adware/spyware since I did.

Anti-virus: Download a free trial of eTrust AntiVirus from http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Collateral.asp?CID=39914. The site says a month free trial, but I have been told that they are giving a year trial again.

Windows firewall is better than nothing, but not much.

Don't know much about AVG, but you can get better.

One word...Microsoft. Avoid it.

Win2kpatcher said:
That should be fine. Also might I reccomend Spyware Blaster 3.2 for preventing spyware.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

This will not remove for removal I reccomend running both Spybot S&D & Ad-Aware.

Trotter said:
Firewall: Download ZoneAlarm from www.download.com. It has a very simple interface, and it is top-notch protection (many internet protection suites use a version of ZoneAlarm).

Spyware: Download Spybot and AdAware from www.download.com. Be sure to 'immunize' with Spybot. Update them weeekly, and scan with both weekly. Also, switch to Firefox if you haven't already, as I seem to get next to no adware/spyware since I did.

do both of these with avg and firefox and you will be fine

Do note that firefox is not compatible with some web based applications. I think this is mainly applicable if you are an Information Technology professional who requires proprietary web based applications. I.E. my fellow I.T. tech runs and LOVES firefox, but our Helpdesk Tracking system (web based) would not work with firefox which really pissed him off cause he had to re-install I.E. only to run this web app..lol..it was actually quite amusing :) I am thinking it must be an active X or java issue of some sort, but we are all to lazy to work on our own problems and just solve other peoples problems..haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom