Which virus program? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Re: Which virus program?

Quote:
Originally posted by Spork 2.0
Depends, for most people merely running the firewall that comes with XP SP2 and a router (which have internal firewalls) is enough. However, if you're like me and like to see everything that is going on with your network connections a software firewall would be a good choice, I myself use Kerio. There are dozens of free firewalls out their, while not many are very good, there are a couple of gems. If you are really concerned about network security give this site a look see.
I disagree about using software firewalls. Their only use is stopping something from getting out. However if something is on your PC, since your using windows your screwed. I do however run better hardware firewalls than most other people *cough* Cisco *cough*.

If you sure about whats on your PC and are careful their's no reason to use a software firewall. One exclusion however is connecting to unsecure wireless networks.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I use F-secure, I know that this is a pay for one but it's 100x better than Norton (in my opinion) Here's a link to their free trial.
http://esd.element5.com/demoreg.html...4&languageid=1
If you decide to use the trial, opt for the internet security suite and not the virus checker as the internet security suite has it all in, including a firewall etc. If you want a good free firewall I was using Zonealarm before and had no problems using it with AVG, spybot and ad-aware. I had all 3 on my machine and I didn't get any conflicts. The only reason I stopped using Zonealarm is that when I ran a new program/game Zonealarm would bring up a permission to access the internet screen behind the screen that was up on the monitor and sometimes you have to restart your machine and then allow access BEFORE starting the program/game. Anyway here's the link if your interested
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...=dbtopnav_zass

Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I use nod32. norton is junk. somebody bought me the computer because of viruses. I uninstalled norton and installed nod32. nod32 found 110 viruses on the computers
Old 01-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I think your startup programs are killing you on the 2 minute boot time. You need to disable some stuff in msconfig
Old 01-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

nod32 is pretty good
Hitachi 160 gb
ABIT AS8 Socket T (LGA 775)
Old 01-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I dont think a lot of people understand the difference between viruses and spyware. Those programs that scan your pc and find 100's of so called "Viruses" are not actually viruses. It's spyware.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
I dont think a lot of people understand the difference between viruses and spyware. Those programs that scan your pc and find 100's of so called "Viruses" are not actually viruses. It's spyware.
no. I found 500 or so spyware with nod32, ad aware and spybot.

they downloaded from bearshare and kazaa
Old 01-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

If you really are concerned about viruses on your computer, go to the following online scanners:
Kaspersky: http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
Bitdefender: http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

If you do have the money, I suggest getting either Bitdefender, Nod32, or Kaspersky. I find that they are much better than others. My opinion is to stay AWAY from Norton products.

Closed Thread