Virus That Blocks Me From Loading Nortons AntiVirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyn66

Baseband Member
I am working on my boss's computer and I Am trying to Load Nortons Anti-Virus Software it comes up with am error saying that it can't load the live update and it doesn't run. Something like this happened before where I believe that there is a virus on his computer that won't let me install a virus protection software on it. Another thing with this is I can not go to the www.symantec.com web site it says that I have no internet connection and it says to check it, but oddly anough I am able to go to www.symantec.co.nz web site which at that site I can download the latest definitions. Once I down load this I can actaully update my definitions but still won't run the program. Does anyone know of a virus, or worm or trojan horse that will do something like this.

I also downloaded a spyware ( yahoo Tool Bar ) and it found a lot of adware and cookies which I deleted. even some of the cookies I wanted to keep.

Yes, i had a similar problem with one lady's computer. It was a virus, i cant remember the name, but it wouldnt allow you to run Norton or any other antivirus programs. It also wouldnt allow the task manager to come up from clicking ctrl alt del. And it also had a keylogger. I ended up just formating and reinstalling. Try running an online virus scan at pcpitstop.com and seeing if that finds anything.

yea thats a good idea bobo. also u can download a virus program name avg, that might help.

Well if its the same virus i had, it prevents any virus software from being installed, so he's gonna have to find another route. Wont hurt to try though.

Yeah, I have already AVG running on the computer but doesn't find anything...it probably already has control of that program or knows that it can't find the virus and only norton's anti-virus has the answer

I think I found the virus it is "backdoor.nemog" which as a removal tool it says to use W32.mydoom which I did in regular mode as well as safe mode, but it didn't detect any viruses. Reading up on this virus it had all the symptoms like I had described. and it had said to look in your host files and delete everything with the exception of 127.0.0.1 Localhost which I did and then I was able to go onto the anti virus websites. I still had a problem installing the NortonÂ’s Anti-Virus and it said I had to uninstall the program and install the liveupdate before reinstalling the program, which I did and still had a problem.
Then finely When I originally set up the computer for my boss I set up a username as an administrator and I was able to load it that way. It works fine on that user name but once I go to his user name I can scan for viruses and scan his e-mail for viruses and I have up to date definitions for now but the only way to update is to log onto my username or download directly from the Symantec website. Which at this point is great compared to
what I was dealing with.
Thanks for all you help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom