Virtual Memory Swapfile settings in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

redangel

Beta member
I,m doing intensive video processing with 256RAM in XP using
Adobe Premiere and Flash for compression.
My PC (Athlon 850) keeps crashing when I try to open large Flash Player Movies (up to 290MB).
I need to know if there is a way of calculating the optimum Virtual Memory Pagefile (ie Minimum and Maximum values) to help my system handle these files without the program crashing.

Thanks for any help.

Usually, for desktop publishing and basic computer use...you set the pagefile to 1*(amount of ram) min and 1.5*(amount of ram) for max.

For gaming and other moderately intensive sysops, I'd recommend 2*(amount of ram) for both max and min.

For what you're doing, I'd highly recommend 3*(amount of ram) for both max and min and more ram. As in, two 512mb simms. Another thing that might help, if you have the room for the partition, is to make a logical drive that is a little bit bigger than the size of your pagefile. Windows tends to be happier with its own little swap drive.

What if you have 1.5gb of RAM and into heavy 3d gaming (Half Life 2, UT2004, etc..)? What would you set the swapfile to then?

redangel said:
I,m doing intensive video processing with 256RAM in XP using
Adobe Premiere and Flash for compression.
My PC (Athlon 850) keeps crashing when I try to open large Flash Player Movies (up to 290MB).
I need to know if there is a way of calculating the optimum Virtual Memory Pagefile (ie Minimum and Maximum values) to help my system handle these files without the program crashing.

Thanks for any help.

the minium requirment for Adobe Premiere is 1 gig physical ram

Did I post in the wrong place? I've always been told that it was better to post under an already existing thread than to start a new one. I appears that Eric did not read beyond the first thread. I apologize if the mistake was mine.

Ellanon said:
Did I post in the wrong place? I've always been told that it was better to post under an already existing thread than to start a new one. I appears that Eric did not read beyond the first thread. I apologize if the mistake was mine.

I responded to the original poster.

Ellanon said:
Yes, who had posted in 2002. Should I start a new thread?

well, I didn't know that. you are the one that responded to it, first. I would have answer your question, but I detected a bit of attitude. your last posts confirmed it. you won't get any help from me

there a way to ask a question. that "Yes, who had posted in 2002" was uncalled for, especially when you responded to it.

You detected a bit of an attitude from this?

What if you have 1.5gb of RAM and into heavy 3d gaming (Half Life 2, UT2004, etc..)? What would you set the swap-file to then?

I asked a simple question and got ignored. I was following what I thought was standard etiquette by posting in an established thread.

After getting ignored by you, I asked if I had done something wrong and if it would have been better to post a new thread. I also noted that you didn't appear to have read beyond the first post. I figured that you had missed me. Seems I was right. No sweat.

Your reply was curt and of no help at all. I'm sorry if you detected attitude. If anything, I feel as if it is you that has given me attitude. I'm just a little stunned that this behavior has happened in an area designed to ask/answer questions.

Again, I did not come here with any intention of hostility. I just wanted an answer to a simple question. I apologize if I made a mistake.

Ellanon said:
I appears that Eric did not read beyond the first thread.

EricB said:
I responded to the original poster.

Ellanon said:
Yes, who had posted in 2002.

put yourself in my shoes for a second and read these responses.

I thought this was a new post as people don't bring up posts from 3 years ago. never. I was trying to help him out. then you respond that "I didn't read beyound the first thread", when there is only 1 thread

you response implies 1 0f 2 things. that either I'm stupid or you are lost. so I responded with "I responded to the original poster". I told myself that I would answer your question, provide you didn't give a smart-alec answer. that happened

now this is where a regular person would respond " should I started a new thread? you responded with a smart-alec "Yes, who had posted in 2002". YET I didn't bring the post back up from the dead. you did. that was the second smart-alec response that I detected.

I didn't ignore you. I was trying to point the guy in the right direction by telling him to add more ram to his system. I assume that he posted this today since I have never seen it before. I overlook your question because answering his question was first on my priority list.

now most people will simply resubmit their question again since it came in the middle of a thread. that isn't what you did (see above)

if you got a question, post a new thread, especially if one related to it, is 3 years old.

shoot. there are newbies that come here and will ask a question (they will post a new thread) that was just answer in the previous thread. but that OK though we are use to it.

Now I will assume the that you didn't mean anything by your comments.

it would be best for you to set your ram to 2.5 gig (for both the min and max values) since your are a heavy gamer. it would make your computer even faster, if you could put your swap at the beginning of your second hard drive in it's own partion if you have a second drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom