virtual memory low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgray

In Runtime
i'm not even sure how virtual memory works even after i read some info on it on the net, but i got a message sayimg mine was low. i discovered i could increase it by going to performance options and increasing it. i changed the initial size mb from 192 to 766, and the maximum from 766 to 1500. i don't even know how it effects anything,but the pc works the same. my maximum ram is 512 in this older pc and thats what i have. i've never had any problems with it but whats up and am i o.k. or what? how serious is it?

Virtual Memory is the sum of RAM and Page File.
When getting a warning like this it meant you don't have enough memory to store the temporary data. There's two solutions. Either install aditional RAM, or simply increase the page file. The page file is just to compensate the small amount of RAM and will store temporary data on the hard disk, so it is extremely slow. Increasing the amount of RAM is much faster, but it costs money, increasing the page file doesn't.
There's no noticable performance difference in increasing the page file.

Virtual Memory uses the harddrive to read and write data to certain Sectors acting as RAM.

Most say you should have 1.5 X your amount of Memory.

If you have alot of RAM its not so important but if you don't then it should be set higher.

You don't have to increase the page file to 1.5x the amount of RAM. The more RAM, the less page file you need.

well, the answers help some but still, where do i stand? i can't put any more ram in because this pc only takes 512 and thats what i have. i stated what i changed my virtual memory to in the opening thread. do i leave it where it is , increase, decrease or drop back and punt?

TheMajor said:
You don't have to increase the page file to 1.5x the amount of RAM. The more RAM, the less page file you need.

I didn't say he should, I only said thats what "most" people say.

I have my pagefile set to only 512MB Because I have 1024 MB of RAM And I rarely need more then that.

I also have 512MB of RAM. I have my page file set at 750 minimum and 750 maximum. This wil increase performance a bit if you use a fixed size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom