Virtual Memory Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Alright i wanted some input on this. I think i know why it is happening but i figured i would get more input before i went to fix this machine tomorrow.

The machine:
2.6GHz Celeron
768MB RAM DDR PC2700
128MB AGP ATi Radeaon 9550 All in wonder

Install with XP Home SP2 all up to date.

Currently running Zone Alarm Free, Avast Home and Office 2007 Excel

Random VM Failure and restarts. I think it is cause the machine cant handle Office 2007. This was my old machine yet i never had any kind of failures like this when it was around me. I also didnt do extensive work in Excel like my sister is.

So what are some ideas?

Page file is default size from XP install. That was done jsut over a week ago. I dont know exact size since the PC is located at my sisters house.

The HDD isnt full. It is a 160GB HDD with XP, Office, and less than a half dozen other apps installed.

Could i just increase the pagefile?

Problems with Virtual Memory

It may sometimes happen that the system give ‘out of memory' messages on trying to load a program, or give a message about Virtual memory space being low. Possible causes of this are:
  • The setting for Maximum Size of the page file is too low, or there is not enough disk space free to expand it to that size.
  • The page file has become corrupt, possibly at a bad shutdown. In the Virtual Memory settings, set to “No page file,” then exit System Properties, shut down the machine, and reboot. Delete PAGEFILE.SYS (on each drive, if more than just C:), set the page file up again and reboot to bring it into use.
  • The page file has been put on a different drive without leaving a minimal amount on C:.
  • There is trouble with third party software. In particular, if the message happens at shutdown, suspect a problem with Symantec's Norton Live update, for which there is a fix posted here. It is also reported that spurious messages can arise if NAV 2004 is installed. If the problem happens at boot and the machine has an Intel chipset, the message may be caused by an early version (before version 2.1) of Intel's “Application Accelerator.” Uninstall this and then get an up-to-date version from Intel's site.
  • Another problem involving Norton Antivirus was recently discovered by MS-MVP Ron Martell. However, it only applies to computers where the pagefile has been manually resized to larger than the default setting of 1.5 times RAM — a practice we discourage. On such machines, NAV 2004 and Norton Antivirus Corporate 9.0 can cause your computer to revert to the default settings on the next reboot, rather than retain your manually configured settings. (Though this is probably an improvement on memory management, it can be maddening if you don't know why it is happening.) Symantec has published separate repair instructions for computers with NAV 2004 and NAV Corporate 9.0 installed.
  • Possibly there is trouble with the drivers for IDE hard disks; in Device Manager, remove the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (main controller) and reboot for Plug and Play to start over.
  • With an NTFS file system, the permissions for the page file's drive's root directory must give “Full Control” to SYSTEM. If not, there is likely to be a message at boot that the system is “unable to create a page file.”

Thanks Eric and Warez. I will put this into effect tomorrow. I figured it was either Office or the pagefile. Glad it wasnt office. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom