Virtual Memory - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Therock
Default Virtual Memory

What does it mean? Sometimes I get a message that says that my comp is low on virtual memory. It happens while I'm playing games or when I'm done playing a game.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics

virtual memory

(n.) An imaginary memory area supported by some operating systems (for example, Windows but not DOS) in conjunction with the hardware. You can think of virtual memory as an alternate set of memory addresses. Programs use these virtual addresses rather than real addresses to store instructions and data. When the program is actually executed, the virtual addresses are converted into real memory addresses.
The purpose of virtual memory is to enlarge the address space, the set of addresses a program can utilize. For example, virtual memory might contain twice as many addresses as main memory. A program using all of virtual memory, therefore, would not be able to fit in main memory all at once. Nevertheless, the computer could execute such a program by copying into main memory those portions of the program needed at any given point during execution.

To facilitate copying virtual memory into real memory, the operating system divides virtual memory into pages, each of which contains a fixed number of addresses. Each page is stored on a disk until it is needed. When the page is needed, the operating system copies it from disk to main memory, translating the virtual addresses into real addresses.

The process of translating virtual addresses into real addresses is called mapping. The copying of virtual pages from disk to main memory is known as paging or swapping.

Real-World Answers about Virtual Memory

Old 01-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Therock

So if I want to increase the virtual memory I'd have to have more disk space?
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz
DFI LanParty nf4 ultra-d
eVga 7800GT 256MB
1GB OCZ extreme series (2 x 512)
OCZ 550 Watt PSU
Samsung 200GB 7200rpm
Tsunami Dream Case
Old 01-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Nice link Samuels.... good find and thanks for providing the source!

As far as Disk space needed, the computer automatically sets aside a certain amount of disk space for virtual memory (Also known as the "page" file).

Depending on the size of your hard drive, window will usually set a percentage. You can also manually change this by going into system settings.

Right Click on "My Computer" and go to "Properties" then click on the "Advanced" tab. There you can click on the "Settings" button in the Performance section. Click on the "Advanced" tab and you will see the Virtual Memory section on the bottom and amount alloted. If you want to change it just hit the Change Button.

Right Click on "My Computer" and go to "Properties" then click on the "Advanced" tab. There you can click on the "Performance Options" button in the Performance section.

You will see the section called Virtual Memory then click on "Change."
Old 01-14-2005, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

You can set the VM to a max of 4096 each. It should help you out.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 01-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to kirkmears Send a message via Yahoo to kirkmears

it means you need to buy new or additional RAM memory to easily increase your performance

PW5 64, E6300@2.8, X1900XT, (5) 74GB RAPTORs, 2GB Corsair XMS800, ATI HDTV Wonder, DELL 30\"
Closed Thread