Virtual Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randah

Solid State Member
Hey i was wondering if i could get some suggestions on what to set my virtual memory at. I never get a low virtual memory error but i know when my computer had to use the vm it crashes n just reboots...so this is what i have...I have 512mb of ram and a 40gb hdd partitioned into 2 20gb partitions..and my vm is set to custom i think it might just be default cuz i never set it...

On my C drive i have 4179MB of space available and the initial size and max size are both set to 2, and i know thats wrong...so i wanna fix it...

On my D drive i have 17543MV of space available with the initial size set to 720 and the max size set to 1440MB

Now i was wondering if i should tinker with those numbers or just set both my drives to "system managed size" rather then custom

Your help is muchly appreciated...Thanks a bunch

Randah

I heard if you have 512MB or better, you can actually disable the Pagefile. However, some applications look for it, so you can set an 8MB pagefile. I have 1GB of RAM, two 7200RPM 80GB hard drives, and I have the pagefile on the second (not system) drive, min 256MB and max 512MB. Seems to work pretty good.

Randah said:
...I have 512mb of ram and a 40gb hdd partitioned into 2 20gb partitions..and my vm is set to custom i think it might just be default cuz i never set it...

Your best bet is to let windows handle it. XP will handle the page much better than you tweaking it.

sunsider said:
thats not entirely true. some people get better performance by playing with that option.

And just what games would that be Sunsider? Tell me what kind of certifications or experience do you have to back that up? The internet is full of teenage punks who have nothing better to do than just to spew out non-sensical gibberish.

I would go with the major's suggestion on the vm size, if you find it does not work gor you, you can always go back to the defaults.

~Fawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom