Video playback stutters/laggy on multiple media players randomly

Boom123

Baseband Member
Hello,
I am using VLC and Combined Community Codec Pack as my main media players for video playback, and randomly, usually every 30 seconds or so, the video stutters for around 5 seconds (everything moves in jitters and slowmotion, very laggy, the sound stays normal though), then returns back to normal. Another 20 - 30 seconds pass, and it does it again. If I click back to see the parts that stuttered first, they plays fine and smooth, but then some other part of the video will stutter in a few seconds. Some of the videos even have low resolution like 480p and this problem still happens, so it's not because my system cannot handle the file sizes or resolution.

I tried increasing the File Caching in VLC to 1000ms (from 300ms) but it didn't make a difference. The same videos work perfectly on my 2 laptops (which are much weaker than this system), this is happening on my gaming rig.

Specs in case they are useful:
i7-4790 Haswell
GTX 980Ti
32 GB RAM

The weird thing is, a friend told me about a media player called Splash by Mirillis. I gave it a shot and it works! The occasional lagging is gone :) Only problem is I have quite a few WebM files and JPSmile files, and Splash doesn't support those file types :/ The common formats like AVI, MP4, MKV are working perfectly though.

This doesn't happen when watching videos on YouTube and other sites, only on my files saved to the hdds/ssd.

One thing I did notice although minimal, is that I opened Resource Manager and this process called System Interrupts sometimes spikes to 7% when the video lagging is happening. Just mentioning this in case it makes a difference.

Anyone have any idea?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Checked for audio driver updates?

Are the files stored on an HDD? "System Interrupts" is usually something with hardware, as it's a 'placeholder' for I/O activities.

Audio drivers up to date.

Yes the files are stored on a HDD. Watching off of websites like YouTube is fine, the vids work flawlessly. I have 2 hdds and an ssd, moving the files to either of the other drives still produces the same lagging.

Sorry I didn't understand what you meant about System Interrupts.

Thank you for stepping in to help once again :)

Back
Top Bottom