Video card driver help

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrworld

Beta member
Hi there from a first time poster (not the stuck to a wall type)

I have a very frustrating problem with video card drivers. At least that's where i think the problem is coming from. Basically i'm getting a blue screen whenever i try to do anything that starts to push the card (3D games). File listed on blue screen is nv4_disp.dll.

I've already done a lot of reading up on whatever i can find on this. I have already tried:

- Video card drivers are up to date. In fact i've tried about 5 different driver versions, including betas, no difference.
- Drivers for every other device attached, including motherboard, are up to date, or at least the latest versions that i can find.
- Motherboard and video card BIOSes are up to date.
- Memory has been tested with memtest86 and the MS tester with no faults found. Have also swapped memory in and out and used in different combinations but hasn't helped.
- Tried some BIOS settings i've found on nVidia's web site and a few other places but no good.
- Lowering acceleration settings doesn't help; still crashes at any setting high enough to actually run the games.

Some of the reading of other ppl who have had the same problem suggests that some nVidia cards are simply incompatible with some motherboards. I'm more inclined to think software but i guess it's possible.

Unfortunately this is a borrowed PC with someone else's data on it, otherwise i'd format and start from scratch. Unsure how long the problem has existed for. Would love to try another similar video card to see if it helps but i can't find a shop who wants to lend me one for some reason ;)

System is:
Intel P4 2.8
Asustek P4S533-E m/board
1GB RAM (1x512, 2x256)
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 128mb video
SB Audigy 2 sound
Win XP SP2
At the moment a hi spec web browser

Any comments/suggestions on this are most welcome!

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys.

Motherboard and video card BIOS both already updated to the latest available.

Do you mean a repair install in Win? I'll try that when i have a chance but to tell the truth not hopeful.

Video driver - each time i've tried a new driver version the previous has been uninstalled cleaned and reinstalled using safe mode.

Contacts have been cleaned, but not with an eraser. Does that actually do anything? I'll give it a shot.

Contacts have been cleaned, but not with an eraser. Does that actually do anything? I'll give it a shot.

Yes it actually does, an eraser has pumice in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom