very strange and annoying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewun

In Runtime
my computer is working fine, then i go to the pub. comp get turned off. i return only to find that the sound has stopped working, and whenever i try and open a video file (tried .avi and .wmv files) my computer just decides to reset... does anyone have any idea as to why? am thinking a virus of some sort? or just a dumb glitch (i can hope :p). cheers.

i downloaded an up to date codec pack not that long ago, and my comp was working fine. my sound is working again (was unrelated to the other problem) and i dont think that not having the right codecs should make my PC reset it's self. i can load up other media, such as songs fine, and listen to them. it is just when i try and load a video file. cheers

Check the Windows log files to see if you are getting any errors. The files can be found by going to 'Control Panel' then 'Administrative Tools' then 'Event Viewer'. Check in the Applications log area first. If you find anything interesting in any of them (normally marked by a white x inside of a red circle) then thats where I would begin looking.

i had a gander at the event manager, and there were various errors and warnings, all of which made very little sense to me. i decided to purposefully make my comp reset itself by opening a video and keeping a close eye on the time. the comp rebooted, but when i looked at the event log, there was nothing there for when it reset. i hadnt done anything for about 5 mins before the reset so i could pick out the nearest event, and in the description of this event it had:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfd64d47, 0xb78979af, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021307-03.dmp.

which does not look too bad? this didnt have a red cross next to it or anything. it just seems strange hat there is nothing before it, when whatever went wrong, went wrong.
im still very confused :(

check the .dmp file
should be told in there

from what I can tell, it's probably your RAM or Processor topping out

just out of curiosity, what do i open the .dmp files with? i tried notepad, but that was wrong :S. my comp works fine with high-ish graphics games etc, and used to work fine. i bought new ram about 9 months ago (2x512 corsair, decent quality) and i have a pentium 4 processor (2.8Ghz) that is only 2 years old.

sounds to me like a hardware issue make sure youm ram and if not integrated your sound card is plugged in firmly also i would almost bet on it it is your sound drivers / video card drivers dropping may want to just go purchase a video card or sound card if you dont have one already or reinstall your the drivers or at least get the most up to date drivers.

i opened up my computer, checked the ram, graphics card and sound card were all in firmly (and cleared a bit of the dust out, lol). that didnt make a difference. i downloaded the mosst up to date suite for my graphics card (radon 9600xt). when trying to install this, it goes through the first stage, then when the dialog box that says 'AIT Software is preparing the InstallShield Wizard.......' it runs through the progress bar to the end, then freezes. i tried it a few times, but it happened again. i tried to maually remove the ATI software on my comp with the add/remove programs, and the installsheild thing froze at the same point. looks like there is something wrong with it :( . dont really want to resort to buying a graphics card, yet. is there anytihing i could do to fix the installshield? then maybe i can get the rest of it working...

try doing a repair of the os if you have windows xp put the disk in and let it run dont push r for the repair console let it go to where it says serching for previous versions of windows then do a repair on the xp install other than that a format and reinstall would be my next task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom