Very slow movement between multiple monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

krotbacca

Beta member
I believe this is a Windows issue, yet it may be hardware.

I have a 2Gh computer 1gb RAM 160Gb HD with XP Home, and 2 video cards connected to 3 monitors like this:

nVidia GeForce 6200 256Mb AGP ..... Analog connection to Samsung SyncMaster 226BW LCD .... and .... Digital connection to another identical monitor
(both set to 1680 x 1050, one set as monitor #1, the other as monitor #4 [set by Windows XP Home])

and

ATI Radeon 9250 256Mb PCI .... Analog connection to Dell P780 (set to 1024 x 768, and set as monitor #2)

Monitors #2 and #4 are set as extended whereas monitor #1 is the base one.

The setup works except for a strange issue. When I drag and drop any explorer window onto the Dell from either Samsung, it holds back and v-e-r-y slowly makes its way to the Dell. I notice that the CPU is at 100% when this happens, and continues for a minute or more until the process is finished. When I cancel the window, the CPU drops to 4% as usual. If any window actually finishes before I cancel it, the image remains on the Dell even when the window is no longer supposed to be there.

However, if the window is situated on the Dell successfully, it is as if nothing was ever wrong - I can access the internet quickly like the Samsungs.

None of these things happen when I move the window between the Samsungs.

What can I do to resolve this? And why does the CPU go ballistic?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom