very old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
so i have this very old computer that i am looking at for someone at work. It is a pentium 2 233mhz with 64 mb of ram. It has windows 98 on it. They tell me that they are having problems with it when they connect to the internet. They can dial-in to there service provider but when they try to go to a site such as weather.com the entire computer freezes and must be restarted. I installed a nic and went online with it and all seems to work fine. Any ideas why it would freeze with dial-up and not over a network? Also, i went to the windows update page and all i get are script errors and can not get any updates. I have tried to install an antivirus program but it tells me that i need internet explorer 5 or higher. Where can i get that from? All i can find are the stupid service packs.

I would love to do a reinstall but it is not my computer and they owner does not want that as of now. Personally i would throw the stupid thing away and get a new one.

I wasn't aware you could update 98 yet I thought they dropped even the update site for 98.

Well if it's going to aid your buddy at work. I would suggest re-installing. See, your buddy will not be mad at you. He'll say "wow, he did something that I need because IE sucks." :) So yeah, re-install. Oh yeah and download Firefox.

(I have to repeat it because.. I just do.)

I agree with you Tyler 100%. To me, IE is dated now.. Say if IE made new browsers every year and Firefox never made a new one. I would still be happy with Firefox. I think it's because it's the security and other things. Otherwise IE will never turn my head.

well you see, the person that ownes the computer, just like the computer, is old. Old people done like to get use to something new. They are use to IE. As far as reinstalling windows, it just might come down to that if nothing else works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom